jazz- crowd banter !

at a particularly lame newport jazz festival many years ago, my brother and i suffered through a chick corea set with his girlfriend gayle moran maiming some standard tune. this prompted my usually sedate brother to yell, "sing the blues, white girl." you had to be there. ^_^

At a Sam Rivers club date at Milwaukee's Jazz Gallery around 1980, a group of us, who were excited to be able to see Sam to begin with, consumed some number of beers before the gig started (a standard number of beers for Wisconsin, which would be at the high end anywhere else). We then reacted to Sam's solos with loud whoops of delight. Literally, four or five of us screamed out, in high pitched voices, "WHOOOOH! WHOOOOOOOH!" The club was quite small and we were no more than 20 feet away from the stage. Sam let us know that this was not cool by whooping back, with excellent mimicry of what we were doing. So we stopped.

I saw the Ellington Orchestra, directed by Mercer Ellington, in the late 1970s at the Oscar Meyer Theater in the Civic Center complex in Madison, Wisconsin. We expected a solid, mildly enjoyable show. It was a ghost band, after all. But then Mercer said, "and now, we have the pleasure of presenting to you a true jazz Hall of Famer. Ladies and gentlemen, Cootie Williams!" This was very unexpected. I must admit that I yelled out "COOTIE! COOTIE!" in a voice that could accurately be described as thunderous.

Edited by Hot Ptah

at a particularly lame newport jazz festival many years ago, my brother and i suffered through a chick corea set with his girlfriend gayle moran maiming some standard tune. this prompted my usually sedate brother to yell, "sing the blues, white girl." you had to be there. ^_^

I went to a Chick Corea/Gary Burton duet concert in Ann Arbor in 1979. After several excellent songs, Gayle Moran came out as a special guest artist and "sang" with them. Having suffered through that, I laughed out loud at your post.

Taj Mahal - During a break between songs Taj was talking to the crowd when a guy in the balcony yelled "Down with Whitey"...Taj shot him a look of death and preceded to rip the guy a new one. "Why would you want to say some ignorant shit like that, it's cats like you that are the problem...", etc.

The guy slinked out of the venue quietly...

Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers did a gig at the Coal Exchange in Cardiff (WTF!!!! - how did they get here?) They were terrible. It was Pucho with a pickup band - lots of London accents. I said, quite loudly, after about three numbers, "Pucho and the English Soul Brothers", as I walked out.

MG