Soul Singin with BIG Horns!

.:.impossible

Some other soul singers with horns and (sometimes, anyway) organ:

James Carr - I have his Goldwax sides on Vivid (Japan), but Kent or Ace (UK) - same outfit - has issued at least two CDs of this material - not to be missed.

Percy Sledge - Pick up a collection of his Atlantic recordings. He doesn't need an organ on his records (tho it's usually there) - his voice has an organ sound - at least to my ears. The epitome of subtle Southern soul.

Oscar Toney Jr.: Oscar's Winners (Westside) - A voice so soulful it hurts.

Dyke and the Blazers: So Sharp! (Kent UK) - It gets no funkier, rawer, and down than this.

May I suggest the album "Thats Your Booty", it is by Calvin Owens and His Blues Orchestra. realy great brass and horns and a variety of singers. This album makes me feel good but I don't like Calvins singing.

Thanks for your recommendation. There was an interview of Owens in an issue of Cadence last year which made me curious how his group sounds.

I would also add Tobacco Road, by Lou Rawls.

021.jpg

Bluesy, shoutin', swingin' big band arrangements by Onzy Matthews, featuring Bud Brisbois on lead trumpet and saxophonist Sonny Criss. Early Lou (1963?), unfortunately not on CD. (Just got an LP copy on eBay, awaiting arrival!)