Jackie Mclean-One Step Beyond

Morganized

I have been looking for this one for sometime and ran across a copy at a used store yesterday. However, on the alternate take of the tune Saturday and Sunday(#2) the CD list the time at 10.25 but my player shows 8:47 for this track. Even more strange, the third tune, Frankenstein, on the CD is listed at 7:25 but my player shows 8:25. Additionally, the first part of Frankenstein sounds similar to the end of Saturday and Sunday.

Since in typical Bluenote fashion, you cannot find this CD anywhere, I was wondering if I could once again call upon this reliable board to solve the mystery.

I know that Bluenote had some CDs that were recalled. Does anyone know if Bluenote ever recalled this CD at the time of its release? Was there a misprint on the info. on the back of the CD with respect to the length of the tunes? Please advise....

This is another example of why Bluenote should not hold these CDs OOP for so long. You can't find a copy, even when there are people ready, willing and able to buy. :angry::angry::angry:

Thanks

This album is now available in the Grachan Moncur Mosaic Select 3CD set. The first pressings of this set had a wrong track on CD1 :rolleyes:

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelect...electionID=1037

According to the Mosaic booklet, the timing of the alternate track of "Saturday and Sunday" is 9:23, "Frankenstein" is 7:28.

Edited by Claude

This came up on the 'old board' and the resolution was as follows:

There were probably *two* pressings of the old McMaster CD. One had the correct cues, the other incorrect. When it came out again as a Collector's Choice, they were faithful to the premise of this series: it was reissued 'as is' with no corrections. Hence, the CC had the *incorrect* cues.

Which was totally moronic, of course, since a version with correct cues had existed - this is what they should have used for the CC series. I found my McMaster copy used, and it has the correct cues.

The cuing error stems from the fact that there is a very long pause between the bridge of 'Saturday And Sunday' and the repetition of the 'A' section (the tune has an AABA type head). Whoever made the cues between tracks did not wait until the 'A' section had been repeated to start the cue for the next track. I never heard the flawed version, but I believe the error was in both the alternates and master takes of 'Saturday And Sunday', and of course spilled over into 'Frankenstein'.

Bertrand.

Bertrand,

Thanks. I knew that someone on this Board would have the information. What you described is precisely what I had found to be the case. No problem with the music, (in fact I love the CD) but the information on the back creates confusion.

Thanks for your help. :D:D:D

Actually there may be a slght problem with the music, in that the rest in the music seems to be a shade longer due to the inclusion of the cue point. That may be a false impression however.