HD Radio anyone?

Neal Pomea

I couldn't find a topic on this. Sorry if I am redundant.

WAMU in Washington DC has switched to HD radio, so that analog listeners can hear a news/talk station on their old fashioned radios, and music listeners need to buy an HD radio in order to hear 88. 5-2 for its musical offerings. I ordered one from the station for the price of a pledge (public radio station) but haven't received it yet.

What I have read suggests that the technology is already obsolete and burdensome and will never catch on. What's your experience been?

I hope it works out because 88.5-2 will be 24/7 of music as opposed to the analog station playing the music I like only on weekends!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, we received our cheapy HD radio (free for a hundred pledge to the radio station) and we're lucky it isn't any more cheapy than it is. The signal is pretty good, only occasional fading out. Not sure we will invest in a better sounding $300 model until we know the technology isn't going the way of the 8-track tape player.

An advantage is that it is not subscription. Pays for itself in no time at all.

When broadband is as available as "regular" radio waves are there will probably be something akin to an Internet tuner in your car. That seems to me to be the most plausible future for radio -- that it will be distributed in general via the Internet and delivered locally by broadband Y-Fi or a more advanced version of that concept which is, of course, wireless.