Beatles Capitol Box Vol. 3?

Any talk of a volume 3 in the works? Christmastime is (nearly) here again.

Nope. Its probably not going to happen in this decade. The guy who pushed this project is no longer wokring at Capitol, IIRC. The UK remasters is what's brewing somewhere.

Edited by bluesbro

...Since MMT has been released as a regular cd, I don't think they would include it.

But it's currently only available in (bad) stereo on CD. They would also include the mono version, presumably, on the next capitol box.

Actually, you can get all the tracks on CD in mono, but you would have to get the UK singles box and the UK ep box to put it together.

You wouldn't want the American vinyl recreation of Magical Mystery Tour. In the vinyl days the one you wanted was the German, which was the only true stereo version. I understand they appeal of the early US albums with the reverb etc., but it'd be a waste of disc to give us a US MMT.

is it true that on the first two Capitol boxes they retained the bad reverb?

I never bought 'em, and recently stocked up on good LP versions off of Ebay; German and Parlophone pressings that beat any CD single disc reissue, of course; but I have not heard those boxes -

The reverb is there and, yes, over the top on some of the stereo versions. The mono mixes are the reason to pick these up.

You wouldn't want the American vinyl recreation of Magical Mystery Tour.

I'll take a US mono over a German stereo any day. Capitol's mono pressings sounded great, and the mono mixes for MMT were superior.

Oh yeah, the mono (sorry, you even mentioned mono in your post above.) I was just thinking of the US fake stereo. I usually prefer the mono mixes (especially for The Kinks) but with The White Album & MMT I prefer certain stereo mixes over the mono (& vice versa.) And with some songs I like part of the mono mix and part of the stereo, so my ideal version of a song would by a hybrid of both! :lol:

Of all of the Beatles things to track down 25+ years ago the German MMT took the longest to find, so I tell myself that that's my favorite version, even if it isn't for all the songs.

I agree that MMT is a mixed bag in stereo. A couple of the songs sound pretty bad in stereo, like "The Fool on the Hill." The ocarina is the loudest thing in the mix.

"Penny Lane" sounds pretty good in stereo, though, as does "Hello Goodbye."

The White Album is definitely better in stereo.

In general though, aside from a few cases in which fold-down mixes were used, I think the US mono mastering had a depth, warmth and fullness that you don't find elsewhere.

Edited by Teasing the Korean