Music distribution in a CD-less society

Daniel A

It seems to me that what has changed is the kids' willingness to pay for and value rock music. Over the decades there have been many rock groups whose members were set for life (if they didn't blow their money) based upon only one hit album and the touring off it. I met a man about 1970 whose son was a member of Iron Butterfly, and he told me that his son was set for life ...

Astonishing!

I guess musicians can't be too happy about radio disappearing, i.e. going more or less to "all talk" format! Was that ever lucrative for musicians or just for composers/publishers?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing about jazz that I have learned, especially from hosting this forum: In general, what small jazz listening population exists is concerned more with the latest BN re-issue than new music. They would rather spend $15-$18 on the latest remaster of Blue Train than buy a new release or even actually go to a show. Not trying to rip on anyone specifically, I'm just being honest.

Good point, and it's very well-taken. I feel a responsibility to support jazz artists working today; in fact, I recently received some funding from the university I work at to bring in a couple of jazz concerts next year, something of a mini-coup. I try to routinely include a CD from artists who are making new music today whenever I place cd orders. But the reality is, a lot of the new music I buy is hit and miss- 15 bucks is a lot to shell out on a chris potter cd, for a hypothetical example, only to find out you don't really dig it after all. Compared to an rvg or some other reissue that has stood the test of time, it's hard for new releases to compete with catalog. Since, unfortunately, live jazz is pretty rare where I live (a mid size metro area in Illinois), what basis do I have to figure out what might appeal to me from the plethora of new releases? Some lame review in jazz times? Word-of-mouth (check out the new releases section on this board, there's not a lot of buzz being generated). 30 second samples from amazon?

Lately, I find myself buying cds from living artists who themselves have stood the test of time--Oliver Lake, Billy Harper, Sonny Fortune Von Freeman, Fathead Newman and so forth. It's a good compromise, I guess--I'm supporting artists working today and I'm generally pretty excited about the music I'm discovering.

edited for typo

Edited by montg