Improvisatory Cooking Corner

I do more/most of the cooking in our house, with my wife often helping. It routinely drives her crazy that I can't follow a recipe the way it was "supposed to be" to save my life. I'm forever changing things, on hunches or whims, sometimes to the point where half or more of the ingredients are different, as well as the cooking method.

Case in point -- the other day we both need to make cookies for each of our work-related holiday parties. We weren't sure the mixer would make a double-batch of Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies in the same bowl. So after we got done making her batch, we started all over. We used semi-sweet (i.e. dark) chocolate chips, so I had the crazy idea of making mine "Mexican" chocolate chip cookies. I added a full tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and a good 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (you read right). Damn, did they ever turn out great! - with a few of the people I work with loving them to the point of wanting to add cinnamon and cayenne to things like chocolate cake or brownies the next time they made them.

I've done wholesale substitutions of nearly every ingredient in a recipe before too, turning a standard Lasagna recipe into "Spicy Asian Salmon Lasagna" - complete with a spicy peanut sauce (no tomatoes or tomato sauce), and nothing from the original recipe was the same (expect for the noodles). I just scanned every Asian recipe I could find, cherry-picking ingredients here and there, and freely swapping those in the standard recipe with new ones. It was sure as hell different, but pretty darn good!!

The list of weird ingredients I've added to chili is a mile long. These didn't all go in the same batch, but over the years I've added coffee, chai-tea base (without the milk), unsweetened cocoa powder (think of a Mole sauce), and hard cider - plus every vegi you can think of (sometimes ground up in a chopper if it really is too weird to imagine in chili).

I've had some disasters a time or two, too (who hasn't).

What cooking tips can we share among us?? -- for those of us who like to cook, and mix it up at the same time. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

And by cooking tips, I'm especially interested in what some of us have maybe had to learn the hard way.

Like, I've got a rice steamer, and you absolutely CANNOT add any oil-based spices to the rice/water mix in the steamer. The steam can't penetrate the layer of oil on top of the water, and the rice will not cook even the tiniest little bit.

Cinnamon in choc. chip cookies is the best. Joe's mom makes hands down the best choc. chip cookies I have tasted *ever* in my lifetime, and she does the cinnamon thing. (She adds another ingredient that I won't divulge in case it's a secret). They're like crack. I can't get enough...

It must run in the family; Joe's terrific and very creative in the kitchen.

Edited by rachel

You know how some foods taste better after they've set overnight? I've learned a shortcut for "aging" chili con carne. Mash up about half or so of the beans with a hand potato masher before adding the other ingredients.

My homemade spaghetti sauce is like that...tastes better the next day.

It is also a recipe I don't measure...I tend to cook by taste and by touch.

A little of this, a little of that.... :tup

Tell me you don't put beans in your chile, unless it's "chile" as in some hamburger meat and some tomatoes and a little "seasoning". That's ok to put beans in because it ain't real chile.

But other wise...

bob_buhl_autograph.jpg

:rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

You can't have chili con carne without beans. Same as you can't have chili con carne without chili.

Reminds me how weird people up North are. When you ask for a burger or hotdog with chili(& mustard and slaw). They give you chili with beans in it. wtf, If I'd asked for chili con carne on my burger, I'd of said chili con carne. But you know, "He's from the South, he don't know beans."

Tell me you don't put beans in your chile, unless it's "chile" as in some hamburger meat and some tomatoes and a little "seasoning". That's ok to put beans in because it ain't real chile.

You can't have chili con carne without beans. Same as you can't have chili con carne without chili.

Reminds me how weird people up North are. When you ask for a burger or hotdog with chili(& mustard and slaw). They give you chili with beans in it. wtf, If I'd asked for chili con carne on my burger, I'd of said chili con carne. But you know, "He's from the South, he don't know beans."

Chili burgers are awesome, MoGrubb. :excited:

To wit:

tommys.jpg

tommys.jpg

Chili%20Burger.jpg

It just doesn't get any better than this!

Edited by GoodSpeak

But other wise...

bob_buhl_autograph.jpg

:rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

Uh, "carne" means meat, not beans.

Yeah, ok, but if you come to Texas and ask for beans in your chili, they're gonna know you're a foreigner.

Uh, "carne" means meat, not beans.

Yeah, ok, but if you come to Texas and ask for beans in your chili, they're gonna know you're a foreigner.

In my neck of the woods "chili" has always been understood to be meat w/chili(spice/pepper), and "carne" means beans, and "con" means "with." Hence you've got your chili with beans.

Live and learn. :) I best brush up on my Mexican lingo.