Screaming Horns

ninety

Proper has a new box set that may have what you are looking for - The Big Horn: The History Of The Honkin & Screamin Saxophone.

PROPERBOX61.jpg

From their site: Not for the faint-hearted, this 4-CD set of 106 tracks bursts at the seams with the sound of 50 hard-blowing saxophonists who, between 1942-1952, formed the nucleus of what became known as the Honkers and Screamers. Jumping from the jazz stage they walked the bars and aisles, played their horns on their backs, shattered microphones, drove their audiences to a frenzy and along the way pioneered the sounds of R&B and rock 'n' roll. From Illinois Jacquet ("Flying Home") via such lung-busters as Arnett Cobb ("Go, Red, Go"), Wild Bill Moore ("We're Gonna Rock, We're Gonna Roll"), Paul Williams ("The Hucklebuck"), Hal Singer ("Blow Your Brains Out"), Earl Bostic ("Earl Blows A Fuse"), Big Jay McNeely ("Jay's Frantic") and Willis Jackson ("Later For The Gator") to Jimmy Forrest ("Night Train"), it's a solid blast all the way. A fatter than usual 68-page illustrated booklet describes the music's development with full discographical details.

Prper site link

Welcome ninety!

I think you need to define "screaming" a little more clearly. What you and I find to be "squeaky and annoying" might be completely different. Give us an example of something you like.

Do you mean fast, busy playing, like bebop? Dizzy Gillespie, Clifford Brown, Fats Navarro.

Or do you mean loud, flashy high note playing? Arturo Sandoval, Cat Anderson (with Duke Ellington's band), Maynard Ferguson, Jon Faddis.

Or do you mean big band? The above names plus Bill Chase (Woody Herman band of the 60s), Buddy Rich big band, Stan Kenton big band, Maynard Ferguson big band.

If you're thinking pop music, maybe Tower of Power, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Brown, Chase (a group from the 70s that put out some nice recordings- featured a lot of trumpet)

My only advice to you is to try and vary your listening- many of the recommendations you'll get here will be music that has more content than just high, loud and fast playing. Listen to whatever you enjoy- that's the most important thing- but try to expand your tastes and sample as many types of jazz that you can. I always suggest Miles Davis as an important artist, not only because of his playing, but because of the great players he had in his groups. I suggest you keep coming here for suggestions- you will get some great advice from the members of this board! :)

EDIT: Didn't Prince's horn section (I think they called themselves the "Hornheads") do a recording? There was also a recording of Steely Dan tunes (as instrumentals) by what seemed to be a bunch of LA studio players who called themselves the Hoops McCann band.

Edited by Free For All

Didn't Prince's horn section (I think they called themselves the "Hornheads") do a recording? There was also a recording of Steely Dan tunes (as instrumentals) by what seemed to be a bunch of LA studio players who called themselves the Hoops McCann band.

Are you thinking of the two Madhouse recordings, "8" and "16", FFA???

Link: "8"

Link: "16"

(FYI, only "8" has an AMG review, and the main "Madhouse" entry is blank too)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Welcome ninety!

I think you need to define "screaming" a little more clearly. What you and I find to be "squeaky and annoying" might be completely different. Give us an example of something you like.

Do you mean fast, busy playing, like bebop? Dizzy Gillespie, Clifford Brown, Fats Navarro.

Or do you mean loud, flashy high note playing? Arturo Sandoval, Cat Anderson (with Duke Ellington's band), Maynard Ferguson, Jon Faddis.

Or do you mean big band? The above names plus Bill Chase (Woody Herman band of the 60s), Buddy Rich big band, Stan Kenton big band, Maynard Ferguson big band.

If you're thinking pop music, maybe Tower of Power, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Brown, Chase (a group from the 70s that put out some nice recordings- featured a lot of trumpet)

My only advice to you is to try and vary your listening- many of the recommendations you'll get here will be music that has more content than just high, loud and fast playing. Listen to whatever you enjoy- that's the most important thing- but try to expand your tastes and sample as many types of jazz that you can. I always suggest Miles Davis as an important artist, not only because of his playing, but because of the great players he had in his groups. I suggest you keep coming here for suggestions- you will get some great advice from the members of this board! :)

EDIT: Didn't Prince's horn section (I think they called themselves the "Hornheads") do a recording? There was also a recording of Steely Dan tunes (as instrumentals) by what seemed to be a bunch of LA studio players who called themselves the Hoops McCann band.

sorry for being vague, well all I can think of is Charles Minguss the black saint album where parts of it has a distinct sax sound where he holds a note for a long time screaming it out loudly. I really dont know how to explain it!