ASV offer

jostber

The label was bought by Universal. I have only found this discussed in one place: http://www.goodmusic.co.uk/weblog/archives...ings/index.html

[uhh - edited to add when I searched on Universal and Sanctuary I found a lot more...]

Goodbye Living Era And ASV

When I first started working in this industry, Audio Sound & Vision was a well-respected company with a wonderful record label: Living Era.

Over the years, Living Era has proven to be a very popular label with our own customers inside the Music & Memories catalogue - and with the help of Andy West at Sanctuary Music, we brought to you about 200 titles ranging from Winifred Atwell and Semprini on piano to voices such as ROchard Crooks and Howard Keel.

With Universal Music purchasing the last large independent record company, Sanctuary Music, the label Living Era will come to a close. I met yesterday with the man behind the label, Ray Crick, and he feels as if he is losing a child - something he has nurtured and grown over the past 25 years or so.

The reason Universal is killing off such a fabulous record label is that there is an unwritten rule among the four major record labels -Universal, EMI, SonyBMG and Warner Music - that they will not exploit recordings and albums in the public domain. In essence, they want to make money only from newer material and leave anything that was recorded over 50 years ago on the shelves in the vault. In essence, the major record labels are killing off good, old music.

I salute Ray and his team at Living Era and they have left a legacy of albums that will no longer see the light of day and I, for one, am sad at another nostalgia label passing into the dark of night.

Ed - The Music Man

Edited by David Ayers