T.D.
Members-
Posts
5,866 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Blogs
Everything posted by T.D.
-
Thanks. I have the Stringtet recording, but never read the liner notes carefully. That's interesting and a bit of a surprise. I thought that the Hemphill quartet recordings on the New World box were done by more "orthodox" classical musicians, while the Out of Your Head recording featured more "improvisers". Stephanie Griffin apparently is at home in both genres (or whatever).
-
Thanks, Mark. I bought your book when it was released (iirc you posted a discount offer from U of M Press). Now that you quote the passage I recall it, but (regrettably) I'd forgotten it when I posted. BTW, the recording is also by the Momenta Quartet.
-
Two New Unreleased Clifford Jordan and Stan Getz from Zev
T.D. replied to tranemonk's topic in New Releases
Thanks. The CJ is really interesting: 2 CDs with Al Haig, Wilbur Ware and Kenny Clarke. 😮 -
Here. This release also includes a quartet by Jason Kao Hwang.
-
-
Coltrane Tiberi Tapes … So Frustrating
T.D. replied to Chanders's topic in Mosaic and other box sets...
I might change my mind later, but after listening to a few samples "Pass". -
Cedar Walton, The Pentagon
-
-
-
-
This obscure Bill Evans release of practice tapes has some classical selections: I could find one selection on youtube:
-
I remember seeing a couple of obscure Japanese albums with Yosuke Yamashita playing classical works, some by "name" composers and some of his own compositions. Mostly solo but some backed by ensembles. I've never heard them. Examples: Solo Bach, Dvorak, Gershwin, Chopin, Zewska With ensemble, includes arrangements of Rhapsody in Blue and Bolero.
-
Would the Swingle Singers count? If so, their recording(s) of Berio's Sinfonia.😁 John Lewis comes to mind because he recorded 3 albums based on Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. I haven't heard them, but I'm not sure how many of the P&F he plays according to the original score. Some seem to have other instruments added. I assume you're thinking of "standard repertoire" classical. Outside that, people like Tyshawn Sorey blur the boundaries. I recall in 2023 Sorey did a live performance (on percussion) with Conrad Tao (piano) of Feldman's Triadic Memories. It was at Bang on a Can 2023, don't know if it's been recorded. Conrad Tao is an excellent pianist, but Feldman's piece is for solo piano so it was an alteration.
-
The Benny Goodman Mozart recordings I've heard (Clarinet Quintet and Concerto) are pretty good.
-
A number by Benny Goodman. See for instance https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/artists/1686/browse Mel Powell (who became a classical - neoclassical then Serialist - composer) recorded at least one of his own pieces (Sonatina), see https://ethaniverson.com/mel-powell-unfurnished/
-
Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?
T.D. replied to Soulstation1's topic in Mosaic and other box sets...
Whole thing over a couple of days -
Tzadik has a small but high-quality footprint in the "contemporary classical" and "microtonal" genres. I've always enjoyed the relatively few recordings I own (also including some jazz). But it's not a label I watch for recent releases.
-
Thanks. I actually own a few of those. Thought I was the only one who dug the Patterns of Plants CDs (there are 2 volumes, but the first, included in the list, is better IMO). 🤪
-
-
#1: Pepper Adams on bari, could be Hank Jones on piano. It has the feel of one of those "Detroit musician" sessions (e.g. Thad Jones "Detroit-New York Junction" which of course doesn't have bari), but it's a bigger group than any of the Detroit-focused recordings I've heard.
-
Great listening so far, almost all hits. Unfortunately I've peeked at some reveals and will have to make another (blind) run through the program. #10 is obviously a Wm. Parker group so I have a good idea of the vocalist, but I doubt I own it (at work now, can't check) and can't ID right away. I enjoy this piece. #3: I love the tune and composer, Cedar is recognizable (from which I can guess the tenor), I even own the recording but haven't listened to it enough to have been able to ID. 🤣
-
I don't explore the piano sonatas as compulsively as I do the string quartets. The sonata sets I own are Kempff (mono), Heidsieck, Yves Nat, Kovacevic and Serkin (not a complete set, though), and I decided to stop there. I think this Serkin set, which was ridiculously cheap when I picked it up, is excellent. But as often happens, it went oop and is no longer so inexpensive.
-
What Classical Music Are You Listening To?
T.D. replied to StarThrower's topic in Classical Discussion
-
What live music are you going to see tonight?
T.D. replied to mikeweil's topic in Live Shows & Festivals
Yesterday: Gary Levinson (violin) and members of the Chamber Music Society of Fort Worth Mozart, Piano Quartet #1 K.478 George Tsontakis, Piano Quartets #s 1 and 2 Dvorak, Piano Quartet #2 Op. 87
_forumlogo.png.a607ef20a6e0c299ab2aa6443aa1f32e.png)