Did the Jazz Showcase ever re-open?

Hardbopjazz

Thanks Paul for that information.

What other clubs can you go see some jazz in the Chicago area? I would be in Oakbrook, IL. That should be close to the city proper.

Well, it all depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to drive.

Being in Oak Brook does open up your possibilities, because you're close to the western suburbs via I-88, Roosevelt or Butterfield Rds, and of course, you're only about 12 miles outside of the city and about 20 miles from downtown.

If you're looking for more straight ahead stuff, I'd recommend the following...

Andy's Jazz Club (11 E. Hubbard): mostly straight ahead fare, always swinging. Good stuff.

The Green Mill (Lawrence & Broadway): the most legendary jazz club in Chicago, and with good reason. That said, sometimes it can be a real bear just getting in, and that says nothing of the parking, which can also be treacherous. And, with no train service from Oak Brook, driving is kind of a must.

Pops for Champagne (Ohio & State): a nice club down the street from the old jazz showcase. Dan Cray and some other really great players play there on a weekly basis. The parking problems here are just as severe as they are at the Green Mill, but at least everyone valets in River North.

Katerina's (Irving Park & Damen): this place is a mixed bag, but the music's always good, and the food is yummy.

or, if you want to avoid the traffic and you're in town on a Thursday, head out to Wheaton to a little restaurant called Adelle's (1060 W. College Ave. Wheaton, IL). They have some nice duos and trios playing on Thursdays.

For more adventurous ears...

The Hideout (1300-something W. Wabansia). It really is a hideout, as it's kinda in the middle of an industrial park, but the music is great, and when they have jazz (call ahead), it's usually of the rather odd variety.

The Velvet Lounge (Cermak & Wabash, I think): Fred Anderson's place. There's always something happening there, and much of the time it's pretty cool.

There are plenty more places to check out, and you'll want to go here for more info as you get closer to coming out.

And, you're always welcome to come see me if I'm playing anywhere...

The "rather odd variety" is one way to put it I guess. The Hideout is a good venue. Jazz is on Wednesday nights - the ongoing Immediate Sound series curated by Ken Vandermark (I think). They basically stepped in when the Empty Bottle chose to discontinue weekly jazz.

This site is a good source for jazz of "the rather odd variety": Umbrella Music

And Von Freeman is still playing his regular Tuesday gig at the New Apartment Lounge isn't he?

Blake,

I wasn't even thinking about the Vandermark Jazz series on Wednesdays when I referred to jazz of a rather odd variety. On the weekends, they're also apt to do oddball funk-jazz psychedelic freak out bands (i.e. the bands a lot of my friends are in).

Von is indeed still doing the New Apt. Lounge thing.

i bet if joe put "brought to you by mayor richard m. daley" in his ads, the permits would have arrived yesterday. the mayor loves to see his name everywhere. ^_^

True, but not nearly as bad as Coleman Young of Detroit in his heyday.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the Jazz Showcase reopening. Hopefully we can get Benny Golson in again.

Blake,

I wasn't even thinking about the Vandermark Jazz series on Wednesdays when I referred to jazz of a rather odd variety. On the weekends, they're also apt to do oddball funk-jazz psychedelic freak out bands (i.e. the bands a lot of my friends are in).

Von is indeed still doing the New Apt. Lounge thing.

Ah, fair enough. My reply was a sarcastic one but it did seem odd that you would label the Immediate Sound series participants as "a rather odd variety". A simple misunderstanding. My trips to Chicago are always during the week (business related) so although I've seen many shows at the Hideout I have no clue what type of bands play there on the weekends. But I have to tell you, "oddball funk-jazz psychedelic freak-out bands" does pique my curiosity.

Nice to hear Von is still going strong.

so when is there gonna be a Chicagoan O-board meet up?

several of us manage to get together every year at the jazz festival on labor day weekend. of course, that's a long way off, so you're welcome to get something going before then.

I tried convincing some folks to come up to the place I was playing at after the fest on the Friday last year, and I got stone cold ignored by everyone.

THAT boosted the self esteem, to be sure.

so when is there gonna be a Chicagoan O-board meet up?

several of us manage to get together every year at the jazz festival on labor day weekend. of course, that's a long way off, so you're welcome to get something going before then.

I tried convincing some folks to come up to the place I was playing at after the fest on the Friday last year, and I got stone cold ignored by everyone.

THAT boosted the self esteem, to be sure.

Well, if you're playing when I'm in town, I would come to one of your sets.

I live in Chicago, and my friend Tushar Samant runs a jazz oriented music calendar. He picked up the flag from Malachi Ritscher. Its updated everyday. Try: now-is.org

Thanks so much for posting this (and to your friend for maintaining it). Malachi's calendar was a great service and I used to refer to it regularly.

• 3 months later...

I live in Chicago, and my friend Tushar Samant runs a jazz oriented music calendar. He picked up the flag from Malachi Ritscher. Its updated everyday. Try: now-is.org

Many thanks to Tushar. I check his calendar regularly and wouldn't know what I'd do without it. In a city where the scene is as yeasty as Chicago's is, what he's doing is essential to the overall health and liveliness of things.

Many thanks to Tushar. I check his calendar regularly and wouldn't know what I'd do without it. In a city where the scene is as yeasty as Chicago's is, what he's doing is essential to the overall health and liveliness of things.

I agree thoroughly. Bless Tushar.

Straight from the Segals, it's looking like a early-mid June reopening. I actually got to see the space today and it is going to be beautiful when it's finished, but it sure ain't there yet.

I talked to Joe a couple weeks ago and he told me mid-June as well.....looking forward to the re-opening as well.

m~