Benny Goodman Band 1936-38

thomastreichler

As I was listening to the Columbia album "On The Air 1937-38" by Benny Goodman I was wondering, what it was that made this band swing (and it swung terrificly, especially on these live recordings). It certainly wasn't Harry Goodman whose bass playing at best was mediocre, and Gene Krupa, though providing much excitement, was a rather ponderous drummer (compare him to Jo Jones in the Basie band of the period and to later Goodman drummers like for example Nick Fatool, Sid Catlett, Dave Tough, Louis Bellson). It occurred to me that it was Allen Reuss' rock-steady rhythm guitar that played a great part in making the Goodman band swing. Reuss was a superb rhythm guitarist in the same league as Freddie Green. In my opinion Allen Reuss' contribution to the success of this band was a very important one that is somewhat overshadowed by the flashy contributions by the likes of Krupa and James. Any opinions on this?

... and Gene Krupa, though providing much excitement, was a rather ponderous drummer (compare him to Jo Jones in the Basie band of the period and to later Goodman drummers like for example Nick Fatool, Sid Catlett, Dave Tough, Louis Bellson).

You are bound to get yourself right in the line of fire of a LOT of swing fans but IMO you are sooooo right. :)

I have always found that clobbering on the bass drum for the basic rhythm very annoying (but probably listeners had different ears 70 years ago, at least white listeners not exposed to Jo Jones ;)).

I think you've got a good point about Allen Reuss but the interplay of the various sections should not be overlooked either (remember the sections are for a lot of what makes the bands swing EASILY - as opposed to bands like Glenn Miller's that, while technically perfect, were and are perceived as rather mechanical by many).

I think you've got a good point about Allen Reuss but the interplay of the various sections should not be overlooked either (remember the sections are for a lot of what makes the bands swing EASILY - as opposed to bands like Glenn Miller's that, while technically perfect, were and are perceived as rather mechanical by many).

I completely agree with you re the interplay of the various sections. Goodman's horn sections always were outstanding: technically impeccable and swinging easily.

I really don't know if it is Reuss, but I'm almost certain that such strong swing feeling that makes you feel well and good originated from the way reed and brass sections pronounce notes... you have Miller band, Dorsey, Shaw etc. and they all sound different even they played same arrangements. But to my ears that Goodman's band in mentioned period was above them all (even better in live appearances than studio dates).