I can't help it. . . .

jazzbo

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to some Peggy Lee again lately. I find myself looking at the cover of the "Singles" collection (I have it facing me on a "shelf" on the wall in front of me, right next to the Nat King Cole "Classic Singles" collection) and hearing her voice in my head and then reaching for one of her cds.

She's slowly becoming one of my very favorites!

Soon to be reissued by the real bastards.. verve

533909.jpg

Black Coffee, the original was an 8 tune 10" Lp

this has been padded out by 4 extra tracks that were recorded to supplement the original LP when 12" became the standard vinyl format

The 'new" tracks are good but the original 8 are absolute musts for Lee followers

You get up tempo swingers

My Heart Belongs to Daddy

I've Got you Under My Skin

I Didn't Know What Time

Love me or Leave Me

and sultry moody pieces

Black Coffee

A woman alone With the Blues

Easy Living

When the World was Young

Her version of When the World sounds like she had already lived her life through, even though the album was the first recorded under her own name.

There have been various Lee comps, titled Black Coffee, and songs from the album placed in others.. but I'm not sure if any give you all 8 songs.

The quartet led by "Cootie Chesterfield".. yes I know who that is, makes this a solid jazz recording.

The 12" album was released with " Sea Shells", which I think was her final Decca album on a British MCA 2 LPs one CD issue in 1998.. Amazon has new and used from about $10.0

Sea Shells is a bit of a strange one.. probably for Lee collectors only, but it does have the sexiest childrens song ever.. I Don't Want To Play In Your Yard

Edited by P.D.

I don't know anything about the poodle story,nor do I care to know, but out of my deep respect for Peggy Lee, I hope you suppress what is a dirty rumor. When she died, the NYTimes had some punk kid, who knew her work only when she was old and ill, wrote a snide "funny" obit. The Times announced later that they were immersed in letters of complaint about it,(one of them mine).

About "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" I heard her say that it was her favorite, going back to the time of her marriage to Barbour. and that she always ended in tears when she sang it.

And I might point out to you new discoverers of her work, that there is a little known recording of hers that I consider close to her best. Just Peggy and piano--"While We're Young" . It is available as a single at iTunes for 99 cents to download.