5 in a box

RogerF

I have just discovered Sony have released a new series of (so far) nine boxed sets of albums by Miles, Sonny, Monk, Duke, McLaughlin, Stanley Clarke, Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orch and George Benson (presumably pre-singing GB era). I have asked this question 'in another place' (*) but would be very interested to learn if any Big O-ers have purchased any of these. Each set retails at around $36 or £18 which seems ridiculously cheap and although most folks here would have most of the albums, maybe like me you don't have all and would prefer these CDs in slim digipak format? I am currently wavering between buying them all and maybe just buying one (Mahavishnu - the first five albums) to test the water. I think my next excursion would have to be Duke as it covers most of the albums he recorded that I don't have. But then there's Sonny, Monk...oh no...... :unsure:

(*)so please excuse the cross-posting

Edited by RogerF

I have just discovered Sony have released a new series of (so far) nine boxed sets of albums by Miles, Sonny, Monk, Duke, McLaughlin, Stanley Clarke, Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orch and George Benson (presumably pre-singing GB era). I have asked this question 'in another place' (*) but would be very interested to learn if any Big O-ers have purchased any of these. Each set retails at around $36 or £18 which seems ridiculously cheap and although most folks here would have most of the albums, maybe like me you don't have all and would prefer these CDs in slim digipak format? I am currently wavering between buying them all and maybe just buying one (Mahavishnu - the first five albums) to test the water. I think my next excursion would have to be Duke as it covers most of the albums he recorded that I don't have. But then there's Sonny, Monk...oh no...... :unsure:

Does the Mahavishnu have the remastered/bonus cut versions of the first two albums? In general, does this set have the best versions of the albums, or just straight reissues?

Does the Mahavishnu have the remastered/bonus cut versions of the first two albums? In general, does this set have the best versions of the albums, or just straight reissues?

tracklists:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Cla...7594&sr=8-2

Felser, I don't know as I can't find any info on these. I might have to buy the things and find out the hard way. One thing I do know is they do not have the extensive sleevenotes or photos that appeared with the remastered IMF.