Euros in NYC

Good.....I've got a thousand or so lying about the place that I need to unload. I hope that Birdland and the bar at The Kitano are accepting them.

Some New York City Stores Accept Euros

Reuters

Posted: 2008-02-07 11:26:57

Filed Under: Business News, Nation News

NEW YORK (Feb. 6) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.

"We didn't realize we would take so much in and there were that many people traveling or having euros to bring in. But some days, you'd be surprised at how many euros you get," Chu said.

"Now we have to get familiar with other currencies and the (British) pound and the Canadian dollars we take," he said.

While shops in many U.S. towns on the Canadian border have long accepted Canadian currency and some stores on the Texas-Mexico border take pesos, the acceptance of foreign money in Manhattan was unheard of until recently.

Not far from Chu's downtown wine emporium, Billy Leroy of Billy's Antiques & Props said the vast numbers of Europeans shopping in the neighborhood got him thinking, "My God, I should take euros in at the store."

Leroy doesn't even bother to exchange them.

"I'm happy if I take in 200 euros , because what I do is keep them," he said. "So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."

Hey Weizy,

how much does it cost in euros that small house with gardern, but without pool, at the end of Pennsylvania Ave NW? ;):P

Sorry, no house at the "end" of Penn Ave, NW.....just a small shade tree on a tiny plot of earth near the intersection of Penn & 28th St, NW. I could get over there tonite with a shovel and dig it up....possibly sell it to you for 200 Euro and 3 kilos of Ubriaco (getting tough to find here!). That work? :P

Hey Weizy,

how much does it cost in euros that small house with gardern, but without pool, at the end of Pennsylvania Ave NW? ;):P

Sorry, no house at the "end" of Penn Ave, NW.....just a small shade tree on a tiny plot of earth near the intersection of Penn & 28th St, NW. I could get over there tonite with a shovel and dig it up....possibly sell it to you for 200 Euro and 3 kilos of Ubriaco (getting tough to find here!). That work? :P

Do you still think that the small house is at the beginning of something? :D

We'll get all the european tourists holding buckets of Euro and you'll get that segment of sleazy Americans coming to Milan & Rome who will no longer be able to go to Amsterdam!! ^_^:P

From Newsweek:

.....And what about the ladies? The Red Light District has about 450 windows where women offer their services. The majority of those will be closed down. Where will the inhabitants go, once they're forced out of work? Asscher says most of the prostitutes are part of international human-trafficking networks that draw on women from Eastern Europe, and they will most likely move on to Antwerp, Hamburg, Porcy's village square :o and other European cities. For those that remain, the city administration may start certifying pimps and require that prostitutes who work for them to be 21 years old.

......The crackdown fits into a nationwide backlash against the excesses of 1960s "happy-clappy" liberalism, as a conservative Dutch member of parliament recently put it. Over the last few years the Netherlands has adopted a stricter policy on selling marijuana, and a ban on hallucinogenic mushrooms is slated to go into effect later this year. "People in Amsterdam and the rest of the country are starting to discern real tolerance from bogus tolerance," says Asscher. "When Rudy Giuliani started to clean up Times Square in the mid-'90s, some people were warning that no one would ever again want to come to New York City. But as far as I know, it has had record tourist numbers each year since." Perhaps Giuliani, who this week dropped out of the U.S. presidential race, should run for office in the Netherlands.

.....And what about the ladies? The Red Light District has about 450 windows where women offer their services. The majority of those will be closed down. Where will the inhabitants go, once they're forced out of work? Asscher says most of the prostitutes are part of international human-trafficking networks that draw on women from Eastern Europe, and they will most likely move on to Antwerp, Hamburg, Porcy's village square :o and other European cities. For those that remain, the city administration may start certifying pimps and require that prostitutes who work for them to be 21 years old.

Did you really believe that I got all those original BN and Prestige pressings with a legal income? :cool:

huggybear1.jpg

Edited by porcy62

Did you really believe that I got all those original BN and Prestige pressings with a legal income? :cool:

huggybear1.jpg

I dunno......but the way you're dressed, just make sure that when you land the NBC job next week, you don't even say the word 'Chelsea'!! :mellow:

NBC? Why not? My look would be perfect for sport news: lots of guys without any real knowldege about the subject they are talking about and I could say 'Chelsea' and 'Manchester United' too. ;)