Waldron/Lacy/Roach

trane_fanatic

Just had a quick listen to both, but I much prefer the Waldron/Roach to the Waldron/Lacy. For one thing, I'm not the biggest of Steve Lacy fans, but I also have 5 or 6 other Waldron/Lacy duet discs, so this just adds one more to the stack and, though fine, it's not as unique. The disc (actually 2, a nearly 2-hour live concert) with Roach is much better, I think, and also features a few solo piano numbers. The music isn't too far "out" if that's a concern for you; much of it is quite lovely, with Roach seeming lighter-than-usual on the drums. Sound is very good for a live set, though sans bass and with Roach emphasizing the cymbals there's not much low end to speak of. Don't remember any long drum solos, but I did only give it a cursory listen. Haven't see any Slam discs before, but these were shipped without jewel cases but with inserts that could be placed in jewel cases. Not exactly slick in the art department - and no notes - but for $20 for the three discs it's certainly worth it. I doubt distribution on these is good, so Jazz Loft might be your only option for these imports.

Just had a quick listen to both, but I much prefer the Waldron/Roach to the Waldron/Lacy. For one thing, I'm not the biggest of Steve Lacy fans, but I also have 5 or 6 other Waldron/Lacy duet discs, so this just adds one more to the stack and, though fine, it's not as unique. The disc (actually 2, a nearly 2-hour live concert) with Roach is much better, I think, and also features a few solo piano numbers. The music isn't too far "out" if that's a concern for you; much of it is quite lovely, with Roach seeming lighter-than-usual on the drums. Sound is very good for a live set, though sans bass and with Roach emphasizing the cymbals there's not much low end to speak of. Don't remember any long drum solos, but I did only give it a cursory listen. Haven't see any Slam discs before, but these were shipped without jewel cases but with inserts that could be placed in jewel cases. Not exactly slick in the art department - and no notes - but for $20 for the three discs it's certainly worth it. I doubt distribution on these is good, so Jazz Loft might be your only option for these imports.

Thanks for the nice, thoughtful review. I appreciate it. :D Looks like I'll pass on this.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I got it too. Like 'em both very much, but I'm kind of a "fanatic" about Lacy/Waldron duets & Max/Anybody duets.

The interesting thing to me about the Max/Waldon is the relatively late date as far as Max duets go. I hear less "FIRE MOTHERFUCKER, FIRE!" and more playing "inside the music". Of course, with Waldron, that's almost a necessity (and perhaps age has become a factor at this point), but still, it's something that Max does quite well, and it makes for a provocative contrast to some of his earlier, more celebrated duets.

I got it too. Like 'em both very much, but I'm kind of a "fanatic" about Lacy/Waldron duets & Max/Anybody duets.

The interesting thing to me about the Max/Waldon is the relatively late date as far as Max duets go. I hear less "FIRE MOTHERFUCKER, FIRE!" and more playing "inside the music". Of course, with Waldron, that's almost a necessity (and perhaps age has become a factor at this point), but still, it's something that Max does quite well, and it makes for a provocative contrast to some of his earlier, more celebrated duets.

Maybe age is a dual factor here. There was sure no shortage of FIRE, MOTHERFUCKER, FIRE when Max and Waldron hooked up on "Speak, Brother, Speak." I think that Waldron changed a lot since the 80s. He became much less percussive and more melodically introspective.

• 1 year later...