Program to Strip MP3 Layer from DVD?

Dan Gould

Can anyone recommend a program that will take the audio layer of a DVD and save it? I've played DVDs and recorded the audio through Goldwave before but I am figuring there must be some better way. Someone mentioned Audiograbber but looking through the website I couldn't see any clear indication that it would do the job, and checking the Forums, in 2001 an admin person posted to the effect that the program does not recognize DVD audio layers.

I am running XP. Any suggestions are appreciated - the real problem I have with Goldwave is that the 'stereo aux' channel is what monitors the sound but it has a background hum that I don't get on the other channels. So stripping out the audio layer would keep it sounding as good as it can.

thanks in advance ...

You might try TotalRecorder. It operates in much the same way as Goldwave, i.e. you have to record in real time. But I haven't noticed any hum. Of course, this isn't something I do often at all. You should be able to download a trial version that would let you record a minute or so to let you judge whether it would work for you.

Search around the net for a program called "DVD Decrypter", it isn't made anymore but you can find it "hidden" around. It will strip the audio (either the entire thing or chapter stops) and save it to an AVI file type. Then you can use a free program called Be Light which will convert it to .wav files.

You might try TotalRecorder. It operates in much the same way as Goldwave, i.e. you have to record in real time. But I haven't noticed any hum. Of course, this isn't something I do often at all. You should be able to download a trial version that would let you record a minute or so to let you judge whether it would work for you.

Its not an issue with Goldwave, its the input on my soundcard. In Goldwave, Line in has no hum, but stereo aux does. I can't imagine it would be different with another recording device.

I´ve used DVD Audio Ripper (for free, during the trial period), which worked fine.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DVD_Audio_Extractor.htm

Thanks Claude, I downloaded and it does what I want - but I can't understand why it works OK with you as the trial period version has a five minute limit per extraction. Doesn't help on a 10 minute song. Guess I better follow Shawn's advice or else I'll have to pay for the full version. I think I'll also use my wife's ears tonight to see if she feels that the difference between the goldwave version and the stripped version is big enough to justify it.

Sorry Dan,

I made a mistake.

The software that I used wasn't DVD Audio Ripper but DVD Audio Extractor, which is also 30-day trial software but without any other limitation

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

I use this as well and have never had a problem with it. I liked it so much that I paid for it once the trial period was over.