Ornette tonight on Jazz From Blue Lake

In 1992 Blue Lake broadcast a half hour self produced radio program on the subject of David Cronenberg's film "Naked Lunch" which features recorded phone conversations with movie composer Howard Shore and the great Ornette Coleman.

Tonight at midnight we'll rebroadcast that program.

After 1 a.m. we'll feature "Sound Grammer" and an interview with Ornette recorded in January, 2007, which first aired on the night he presented at the Grammy Awards.

Jazz From Blue Lake begins at 10 p.m. with some of Coleman's more familiar compositons.

Meet you in cyberspace,

Lazaro

www.bluelake.org

"Jazz...which comes to you in the best of taste....from Blue Lake." Mercer Ellington.

Cool. The 1992 program was done without benefit of a computer -- it was all tape, just dubbing and cutting. Sure can tell. Yet, there it is: Naked Lunch.

There will be comparison versions of "Sleep Talk" from "Of Human Feelings" and "Sleep Talking" from "Sound Grammer" as well as "Mob Job" from "Of Human Feelings," "Hidden Man" and "Song X" plus "Feet Music" from "In All Languages" (two versions) and a version of "Feet Music" from Ken Vandermark's Sound In Action Trio, two drummers and a tenor saxophone.

Tonight at midnight we'll rebroadcast that program.

N.B. Lazaro is in the Eastern time zone. Don't suffer the disappointment I've felt in the past due to failure to note such details. I missed Bill Dixon with The Exploding Star Orchestra at the Chicago Jazz Festival due to a misunderstanding about time. And that was after I had dropped in a couple of times on the rehearsals.

Rupe

Edited by Rupertdacat

I caught only snatches (recorded it for later) of the 2007 conversation with Ornette. It sounded to me as if he was saying something like every note is a 3rd (for example) of some other note and therefor all notes are the same. Is that what you got out of that? I know that he is famously difficult to interpret.

Rupe

Yeah, something along those lines -- that one note is standing in a place that could be occupied by another 11; or that there are similarities between the existing note and it's "cousins" in other cleffs. The interview was transcribed and posted here (I think in Jazz In Print) as "Getting Schooled: An Interview With Ornette Coleman." You can Google that to find it at All About Jazz, too. His theory is way above my head, though. LV

Yeah, something along those lines -- that one note is standing in a place that could be occupied by another 11; or that there are similarities between the existing note and it's "cousins" in other cleffs. The interview was transcribed and posted here (I think in Jazz In Print) as "Getting Schooled: An Interview With Ornette Coleman." You can Google that to find it at All About Jazz, too. His theory is way above my head, though. LV

I heard some of the interview last night driving home from a gig in K-Zoo.. Very interesting listening to Ornette's theories and I thought you did a nice job interviewing the very ornate Ornette ..