Anyone know how the Mosaic Grant Green/Sonny Clark boxset stacks up?

adhoc

Anyone? This was a 5LP set with the cat. number MR5-133.

I'm interested in particular if anyone has been lucky enough to compare it to the Japanese-pressed "King Records" issues that (when taken together) also comprise this set, namely (all Grant Green LPs):

- Matador

- Oleo

- Nigeria

- Am I Blue

- Gooden's Corner

I kinda assumed that since it was a Mosaic set, it'd be pretty much 'top shelf' with regards to sound quality, but a trusted friend thinks otherwise and claims that the King Records releases are better sonically. I'm just curious about what everyone else thinks.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by adhoc

I have King issues of Gooden's Corner and Oleo, and also have the Mosaic box.

I'd never compared them before - just listened to whichever I felt like listening to. Today I listened to a couple of cuts of each King LP, and listened to the corresponding cuts on the Mosaic box. Didn't want to do more than that, since too much comparison listening can make me crazy. I feel as if I'm listening for sounds rather than listening to music.

The Japanese LPs sounded more open, airy, and the music sounded somewhat clearer to me than the Mosaic did.

However, the Japanese Gooden's Corners sounded a bit bright - an issue for me, since my ears tend to be sensitive to that kind of thing.

The Oleo King LP sounded better all around to me than the Mosaic.

In the end, the Mosaic is a very good sounding set, and includes tracks that weren't available on LP- some that were previously unissued on any format - before the Mosaic was issued. I could live with it and listen to it (and have) with no regrets.

Incidentally, Matador isn't included on the Green/Clark Mosaic box. McCoy Tyner was the pianist on that one.

adhoc - hope you'll stick around and join in on the discussions here.

Had most of the King records and then the Mosaic on LP then cd. Also had the straight 2 cd set.

In my opinion I would go for the Mosaic for best overall sound and reliability and what is on offer. The Kings are very very nice...very very expensive and in my opinion not worth the extra for my ears