Past Perfect Records

Dave James

On Friday, I received a catalogue from Daedalus Music. This time around, they are offering a qiote a batch of mainstream jazz recordings from an outfit call Past Perfect. Prices are at the cut-out level, i.e. generally less than $7.00 per disc.

Many major artists are represented - Chet Baker, Gene Ammons, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Art Blakey, Don Byas, Sidney Bechet , Eric Dolphy and Clifford Brown among many others. Most are dates with which I'm unfamilar. Two good examples would be Don Byas' "Riffin' and Jivin'" from 1945-47 and Eric Dolphy's "Quiet Please" from 1960-61. The former includes Byas, Jimmy Powell and Billy Taylor and the latter, at least according the the catalogue, Coleman Hawkins, Max Roach, Charles Mingus, Booker Little and Tommy Flanagan. Now that's what I'd call a lineup.

Does anyone know anything about these guys?

Up over and out.

These box sets show up in the Seattle area in a group of book stores calle " Half Price Books" they sell used books and lots of cut out books. I bought the Ella box as it had some Frankie Newton participation that I wanted and the price was right for those tracks.

The packaging is " cheap" but OK.. but the main problem is that there is absolutely no discographical information. If this is important to you, you had better be aware of the tracks and the musicians involved, or have access to a discography of the people who interest you.

Also the tracks, in the Ella, at least seem to be scattered across the discs randomly, no chronological sequence, which, considering she sang many of the songs moire than once, makes sorting the data out a bit difficult.

All the tracks are over 50 years old though.. to escape copyright considerations.. which helps a bit.

I suspect this is true of the other PP boxes and discs.

Good cheap introduction to an artists you might want to try, but possibly "collectors" can find the same stuff better presented elsewhere.

Just got back from my PO box , got the Daedalus catalog.

There are some good items in those Past Perfect singles.

They sem to have reissued some of the Candids

The Benny Bailey " Hard Sock Dance" was the Candid " Big Brass"

The Eric Dolphy Quiet Please" seems to be a culled from

Candids Abbey Lincoln, Booker Litte and Mingus

The Don Ellis is his Candid Quartet recording

The Eldridge seems to have the Newport Rebels sides

Others are taken from early Verves

These seem worth investigating further to determine just what is on them.

P.D. has nailed it.

If you're not too fussy and want to cheaply sample an artist or musical era, these sets might be to your liking.

I have the Sinatra set and it's in my office desk drawer right now. I sometimes play it on my crappy office sound system - at times when I feel as if I'm about to lose my mind.

It's a lot of music for very little money but, if the Sinatra set is typical, not a company I'm likely to support in the future.

And by the way, the Sinatra set features GOLD AUDIOPHILE disks. Yea, right. While the color of the CDs is gold, no way in hell are these things of audiophile quality. THAT I found irksome.

ON THE EDIT: $7 per disk is waaaaay to expensive. Get 'em from zweitausendeins.de as couw suggests or have a look on eBay.

Edited by Chaney

Re: Hall of Fame boxes

I only have the Lionel Hampton. Packaging is cheap, but more or less passable. As far as I remember (don´t have the CDs here) it includes some discographical information: personnel listing and date for every session. Nothing more (no reference to labels, name of groups/ensembles...).

And it seems there´s no criteria in the selection: some sessions from the 30s and 40s.... and some from the late 70s

There are some good items in those Past Perfect singles.

They sem to have reissued some of the Candids

The Benny Bailey " Hard Sock Dance" was the Candid " Big Brass"

The Eric Dolphy Quiet Please" seems to be a culled from

Candids Abbey Lincoln, Booker Litte and Mingus

The Don Ellis is his Candid Quartet recording

The Eldridge seems to have the Newport Rebels sides

Others are taken from early Verves

These seem worth investigating further to determine just what is on them.

PDEE, the Dolphy is probably the "Candid Dolphy" disc. It has alternates not on the Candid Booker Little disc, "Stormy Weather" (same take as "Mingus", but GREAT track!!), and some tracks from Abbey Lincoln (I don't have that original album).

I have gotten the Don Ellis, and the Coleman Hawkins/Pee Wee Russell discs. The last one has the Jazz Reunion Candid album, with Bob Brookmeyer, Emmett Berry, Nat Pierce. That's another wonderful Candid album.

The others (Bailey, Eldridge, and the "Osmosis" or whatever Dorham/Flanagan/actually Dave Bailey's "Bash", which is also available from Past Perfect) I have in their original CD releases.

There was also a nice Buddy De Franco disc (though that's probably one where they've "stolen" the recordings) with some of the Verve quartet sides with Sonny Clark (this was discussed in the Discography section some time ago).

The Candid releases are licensed, it seems, so no rip off. But with releasing the early Mingus stuff, they make up for that again :angry:

ubu

Re: Hall of Fame boxes

I only have the Lionel Hampton. Packaging is cheap, but more or less passable. As far as I remember (don´t have the CDs here) it includes some discographical information: personnel listing and date for every session. Nothing more (no reference to labels, name of groups/ensembles...).

And it seems there´s no criteria in the selection: some sessions from the 30s and 40s.... and some from the late 70s

I have a few of these 5-disc Hall of Fame boxes (bought through Zweit... for five bucks each). Most are pretty good comps, but the Lionel Hampton may be the worst of the bunch. I was just listening to it earlier today in fact... the first three discs cull from his 1936-1948 recordings, but the last two are from live European shows from the late 70's. At least part of it sounds horrible, as if taken from a scratchy cassette. The boxes are certainly worth $5, but I think the Proper boxes are much better overall.

I also have a Clark Terry CD called "Flutin' And Fluglin'", featuring Jimmy Knepper, Julius Watkins, Seldon Powell, Yusef Lateef, Tommy Flanagan, Joe Benjamin and Ed Shaughnessy. Budd Johnson plays piano on one track. Another very fine album!

ubu

That was a Candid album too. Colours, I believe.

I also have a Clark Terry CD called "Flutin' And Fluglin'", featuring Jimmy Knepper, Julius Watkins, Seldon Powell, Yusef Lateef, Tommy Flanagan, Joe Benjamin and Ed Shaughnessy. Budd Johnson plays piano on one track. Another very fine album!

ubu

That was a Candid album too. Colours, I believe.

Yes, that IS a Candid date. They did license it, as they did the Ellis, Hawkins/Russell, Dolphy, etc.

ubu

• 2 weeks later...