Marcin Wasilewski Trio - January

GA Russell

Tomasz Stanko's old rhythm section of Marcin Wasilewski, Slawomir Kurkiewicz and Michal Miskiewicz is now recording under the name Marcin Wasilewski Trio. They have recorded an album called January which will be released on ECM May 6.

Wasilewski impressed me on the Stanko album I have, and I'm looking forward to hearing this.

The group will tour the US to promote the album:

May 20 - New York, NY - Birdland

May 22 - Philadelphia, PA - Chris' Jazz Café

May 23 - Baltimore - An Die Musik Live!

May 24 - Ann Arbor - Firefly

May 25 - Los Angeles, CA - The Jazz Bakery

Edited by GA Russell

It's good. Came out here back in ...well, January I think.

Not as good IMO as Trio which just is just a sublime piece from start to finish but 'Cinema Paradiso' from the new one wouldn't be out of place one jot on the first disc.

I managed to see them live with Stanko doing the rounds for his last but one album and they were incredible.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Tony, I haven't heard Trio, but it must be amazing if it is better than January. This new album blows me away. It's the best new piano trio album I've heard in years.

There is one song, King Korn, whose title doesn't ring a bell, but I am sure that I have Mike Nock doing it.

I'm struck by the balance of the three instruments. It reminds me of the Evans/LaFaro/Motian trio in that way.

It's great to see that their tour later this month will be in major US cities where plenty of jazz fans will have the opportunity to catch them (if the fans are hip enough to know who they are!). I wish I could be among them.

Tony, I haven't heard Trio, but it must be amazing if it is better than January. This new album blows me away. It's the best new piano trio album I've heard in years.

2nd. I picked it up on Thursday and have already given it a couple spins. I went in to it blind except for some written reviews and have been richly rewarded. Great dynamics and sound for such a young trio. Very impressive.

"King Korn"? Try Bley/Swallow/LaRoca, Footloose! on Savoy.

I accidentally stumbled upon my recording of King Korn tonight. It is on Paul Bley's Milestone Cd Circle, taken from the LP Paul Bley & Scorpio.

I see that tonight is the first night of the band's American tour. Anybody planning to see them?

• 4 months later...

The trio will return to the US next month. Here are the dates:

November 1st - Seattle, WA – Earshot Jazz – Triple Door

November 2nd - San Francisco – SF Jazz Florence – Florence Gould Theatre

November 3rd - Los Angeles, CA - Jazz Bakery

November 6th - Chicago, IL - The Morse

November 7th - Milwaukee, WI - Polish Cultural Center

November 8th – Philadelphia, PA - Chris' Jazz Café

November 9th – Baltimore, MD – An Die Musil

November 10th - Columbus, OH – Wexner Center