Jimmy Giuffre 3: Live

Late

50 minutes ago, optatio said:

In the detailed review - Bertold Ansohn: Die Innen- und die Außenwelt des Jazz. Jazztime Hildesheim. In. Jazz Podium Nr. 7/8 Juli/August 1993, pp. 42-43 - 
not a word about any health troubles. 

May be that the performance at the "Fabrik" in Hamburg https://fabrik.de/venue June 7, 1993 was the last one in Germany, if at all. But there was another performance in June 1993 in Weil am Rhein not announced as usual in Jazz Podium - date? It seems the trio has had its time ...

Klaus Robert Bachmann: Das Flüsterrohr und die blumige Pathetik. Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley, Steve Swallow. In Jazz Podium, op. cit, p. 48

Jimmy Giuffre 3.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this review with us. 
It´s a quite critical review. But the description of "Klarinette als Flüsterrohr" may explain why I like his clarinet sound. I never could enjoy so called "old time jazz" with all them screaming clarinets and staccato trumpet and too stiff rhythm, but since I got posthum a chance to hear the original Giuffree trio with Bley and Swallow, I was surprised that I liked it. But I got to have time and "innere Ruhe" to enjoy it. I got to close my eyes and follow each aspect of the music otherwise you lost it....

"Loverman" I like much and like to play it, so I would have liked to hear that version. Well: "schwelgerisch wuchtige Phrase" can destroy much. 
Once I heard a jam of that too often played "All Blues", mostly preferred by amateurs who can´t play many chord changes, and the piano player "banged" on that goddamn piano like if he got paid for it . He did an heavy approach to it that is not meaned in the composition. Also, you have some amateur guitar players who turn it up loud and do their power "exercises" on let´s say a soft tune like "Footprints".....

Maybe the health problems of Giuffree started later. I remember I read a review .