Jazz on Film Exhibition at MOMA

Interesting article that alerts the reader to more jazz scores than one might have been aware of in a forthcoming exhibition at MOMA in New York City:

From the article:

"THE forthcoming exhibition of jazz-related movies, posters, video clips and merchandise at the Museum of Modern Art is dauntingly vast, but its title could not be plainer: “Jazz Score.” Those two words encompass the exhibition’s breadth and depth as well as its provocative omissions, and they allude to jazz’s complex, somewhat wary interaction with cinema — one that’s fundamentally different from the alliance between film and its longtime go-to music source, classical".

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/movies/1...amp;oref=slogin

Fascinating! I've seen a lot of the films mentioned here and for me the most memorable are The Connection (my Blue Note vinyl of the Redd/McLean version is a treasured item) and Anatomy of Murder. (When I saw it in the cinema on its release, there was an intermission to squeeze in even more of Duke's music!) But my favorite jazz film - admittedly not within the remit of this exhibition - is the Swedish Sven Klang's Combo, which is said to relate to the life of Lars Gullin and contains superb music. Anyone seen this?

Edited by BillF