A technical question

I can see 'em...

I just can't type 'em...

I hafta look up the friggin' character map code...Geez...

;)

Yes - on my keyboard £ is shift 3, where you keep # - which is why I thought it might come out on US browsers as #. Well, I was also told this in the early days of the internet.

Thanks folks.

Mg

Here are some of the results on my Mac keyboard. The only characters that I sometimes have a need for but cannot find are: ð and þ--both appear in my father's first name--so I go to any Icelandic site and copy.

Option (alt) 1 = ¡

Option (alt) 2 = ™

Option (alt) 3 = £

Option (alt) 4 = ¢

Option (alt) 5 = ∞

Option (alt) 6 = §

Option (alt) 7 = ¶

Option (alt) 8 = •

Option (alt) 9 = ª

Option (alt) 0 = º

Option (alt) y = ¥

Option (alt) q = œ

Option (alt) w = ∑

Option (alt) e = ´ (followed by character = é, ú,ó, í, etc.)

Option (alt) r = ®

Option (alt) t = †

Option (alt) i = ˆ

Option (alt) o = ø

Option (alt) p = π

Option (alt) [ = “

Option (alt) ] = ‘

Option (alt) a = å

Option (alt) s = ß

Option (alt) d = ∂

Option (alt) f = ƒ

Option (alt) g = ©

Option (alt) h = ˙

Option (alt) j = ∆

Option (alt) k = ˚

Option (alt) l = ¬

Option (alt) ; = …

Option (alt) ' = æ

Option (alt) z = Ω

Option (alt) x = ≈

Option (alt) c = ç

Option (alt) v = √

Option (alt) b = ∫

Option (alt) n = ˜ (or, if followed by character, ñ õ)

Option (alt) m = µ

Option (alt) , = ≤

Option (alt) . = ≥

Option (alt) / = ÷

Option/Shift 1 = ⁄

Option/Shift 2 = €

Option/Shift 3 = ‹

Option/Shift 4 = ›

Option/Shift 5 = fi

Option/Shift 6 = fl

Option/Shift 7 = ‡

Option/Shift 8 = °

Option/Shift 9 = ·

Option/Shift 0 = ‚

• 3 weeks later...

I can see 'em...

I just can't type 'em...

I hafta look up the friggin' character map code...Geez...

;)

Same here---can see it, but not on my keyboard. BTW, I always thought the pound sign was a cooler looking monetary symbol than our $.

I've never seen a £ sign making problem. It's usually the € sign that displays wrongly on some message boards, when I type it with the Opera browser.

No problem here, but on sa-cd.net, when I type € on my keyboard, it will display as something like "&3489" after my message is posted.

I've never seen a £ sign making problem. It's usually the € sign that displays wrongly on some message boards, when I type it with the Opera browser.

No problem here, but on sa-cd.net, when I type € on my keyboard, it will display as something like "&3489" after my message is posted.

Ah, there's a reason for that - it's the year when Britain joins the Euro :D

MG

I use Firefox and Opera and have never had a problem seeing the "pound" sign as it's supposed to be displayed, although both browsers (like Safari) allow you to change character encoding options.

As far as keyboard layout, Windows users can switch to a lot of different settings, including English-UK. The problem is remembering where the "special" characters are located! (BTW, I use the US - International setting, which is nice if you want to be able to type things like this without having to go to the Character Map - ¿ ç ü ... and so on.)

Ah, there's a reason for that - it's the year when Britain joins the Euro :D

MG

:lol: I believe it; they can't hold out forever...

I use Firefox and Opera and have never had a problem seeing the "pound" sign as it's supposed to be displayed, although both browsers (like Safari) allow you to change character encoding options.

As far as keyboard layout, Windows users can switch to a lot of different settings, including English-UK. The problem is remembering where the "special" characters are located! (BTW, I use the US - International setting, which is nice if you want to be able to type things like this without having to go to the Character Map - ¿ ç ü ... and so on.)

Cool. But what of Marain symbols?