Sonny Rollins : Paris 1965/Copenhagen 1968

bluesbro

Anyone has any additional info on this one? How does it sound? Is it good?

SONNY ROLLINS

TRIO AND QUARTET

PARIS 1965 / COPENHAGEN 1968

Description:

This release contains two extremely rare and long unavailable european concerts by Sonny Rollins. The 1965 Paris performance showcases Rollins in a trio format, sans piano. The second concert was taped in Copenhagen and features an all star quartet with Kenny Drew, Niel Henning Orsted Pedersen and Albert "Tottie" Heath.

Songs: Personnel Details:

Medley: I Can't Get Started - Three Little Words - St. Thomas

There Will Never Be Another You

Three Little Words

St. Thomas

Medley On Various Tunes

When The Lights Are Low

Four

Naima

Sonnymoon For Two Personnel: Gilbert Rovere, Art Taylor, Kenny Drew, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen, Albert "Tootie" Heath

Label: GAMBIT

Number: 69282

Item Code: 62256

Format: 2-CD

Sonny Rollins Paris/Copenhagen

Edited by bluesbro

These of course are bootlegs, and have been out before in various incarnations. The Paris show was from a double bill with Ornette Coleman. Sound is so-so, but Rollins' playing is fine. The Copenhagen show is a monster — sound again is so-so. Rollins' take on "Naima" is more than interesting. I'd say for Rollins enthusiasts for the most part. If you don't mind bootlegged sound and want to know what Newk sounded like live around this time, well, this reissue is one of the ways.

The Andorrans have also got their hands on Rollins' 1963 Tokyo concert, which is supposedly coming out on compact disc later this year. To my knowledge, this date has never appeared on (bootlegged) LP or compact disc. Paul Bley was still in the band at this time, and this show has the distinction of adding Rashied Ali on trumpet to the mix. I don't know if this is the same Rashied Ali we all know from Coltrane's band, but if I had to guess I'd say no. Either way, it does pique one's interest.

Edited by Late

I have a copy of Rollins Concert in Copenhagen November 1965 With him, NHOP and Alan Dawson, it's bootlegged radiotransmission and the sound is very good.

Playlist:

There Will Never Be Another You

Sct. Thomas

Oleo

Darn That Dream

Three Little Words

Great Concert, I was there. Rollins was amazed over NHOP's Bass Playing.

These of course are bootlegs, and have been out before in various incarnations. The Paris show was from a double bill with Ornette Coleman.

Where was this released before? I've tried to obtain all the grey-market Rollins I can, but haven't seen this one yet.

The Andorrans have also got their hands on Rollins' 1963 Tokyo concert, which is supposedly coming out on compact disc later this year. To my knowledge, this date has never appeared on (bootlegged) LP or compact disc. Paul Bley was still in the band at this time, and this show has the distinction of adding Rashied Ali on trumpet to the mix. I don't know if this is the same Rashied Ali we all know from Coltrane's band, but if I had to guess I'd say no. Either way, it does pique one's interest.

WHOA!!!

These of course are bootlegs, and have been out before in various incarnations. The Paris show was from a double bill with Ornette Coleman.

Where was this released before? I've tried to obtain all the grey-market Rollins I can, but haven't seen this one yet.

Around 1993, this was released as a two-disc set (Rollins on one disc, Coleman on the other) by the German bootleg label Magnetic. It's possible that you might have it under a different label, maybe? Here are the details:

November 4, 1965

Salle de la Mutualité

First Set

Sonny Rollins, Gilbert Rovere, Art Taylor

1. Medley (41: 12)

(I Can't Get Started, Three Little Words, There Will Never Be Another You)

November 4, 1965

Salle de la Mutualité

Second Set

Ornette Coleman, David Izenzon, Charles Moffett

1. Sadness 3:26

2. Lonely Woman 11:35

3. Falling Stars 14:32

4. Clergyman's Dream 12:00

==========

The 1963 Tokyo Concert is listed as "Upcoming" at Dusty Groove. I have no idea of course whether any product will actually come to fruition. The gig was recorded two months after Sonny Meets Hawk. According to my discography, the details are:

Marounuchi Hotel - Tokyo

September 19, 1963

radio broadcast

Sonny Rollins, Rashied Ali (t), Paul Bley, Henry Grimes, Roy McCurdy

1. Mack the Knife 21:51

2. Oleo 22:21

Same Location & Date

Sonny Rollins, Tetsuo Fushimi (t), Akira Miyazawa (ts), Novio Maeda (p), Tatsuro Takimoto (b) Takeshi Inomate (d)

3. On a Slow Boat to China 4:50

Maybe this will actually be coming out on Rollins' label — that'd be something.

=========

Maybe MartyJazz is reading this and can add some insight — his collection of Rollins radio broadcasts and private recordings (if he doesn't mind me saying so) is impressive. I also think Ubu might be able to tell you where the entire 1967 Reading, England concert can be heard.

Before the Rollins in Paris was released on a double CD with Ornette, I picked it up on an Italian LP (Jazzway label) that was released in 1985. It's a wonderful recording, as one might expect from that particular period.

The 41 minute medley cited in "Late"'s #7 post above is deficient in terms of the song titles included. Rollins veers from tune to tune in the following order, sometimes repeating a tune played earlier in the set:

"I Can't Get Started" (9:55), "Three Little Words" (5:05), "I Can't Get Started" (2:10), "Three Little Words" (0:40), "St. Thomas" (0:35) on Sde One. Side Two continues the medley with "There Will Never Be Another You" (9:25), "When I Grow too Old to Dream" (13:45), and concludes with a very brief "Madamoiselle de Paris (0:20). Altogether this accounts for the roughly 41 minute set.

Edited by MartyJazz

I bet that show was great, Victor. Based on the song list in your post, my discography lists the performance as being recorded on October 31, 1965 - Tivoli Concert Hall. Does that sound right? (The same trio performed nine days later in Stockholm.) For the October 31 concert, the trio were broadcast on radio and filmed for television! A ten second clip of the show actually made it into The Story of Blue Note documentary from a few years back. I suspect the entire show will eventually be released (out of Spain? on "Efor"?) on DVD at some point. Just a guess, but I'd be interested in seeing/owning a copy.

Looks like its coming out this month. Amazon already has the cover art, so it must be ready:

51JVIxilfbL._SS500_.jpg

Looks like its coming out this month. Amazon already has the cover art, so it must be ready:

51JVIxilfbL._SS500_.jpg

Good news. I've had this date for many years on a bootleg tape relatively recently converted to CD-R. Here is the discographical info the way I have it:

A) Sonny Rollins-Betty Carter

Marounuchi Hotel, Tokyo

19 Sept. 1963

Personnel:

Sonny Rollins (ts)

Rashid Ali (tp)

Paul Bley (p)

Henry Grimes (b)

Roy McCurdy (d)

add Betty Carter* (drop ts, tp)

1) Moritat (21:46)

2) *The Way You Look Tonight (1:53)