Omar Sosa

six string

I had the pleasure of seeing this man perform a couple of times about ten years ago and I think he's amazing. He was living in the SF Bay Area back then and he made a few sojourns east to Sacramento and played our little jazz club. He brought some fine musicians with him, Richard Howell on tenor and I believe Babatunde Lea was on drums. On one particular night he played so hard he broke the piano! This was the same night that a friend of mine who had been a dj at KJAZ wrote a poem about the performance. His performances were some of the best I had ever seen by anyone. Truly amazing artist imo.

I've bought a few of his straight ahead cds. I'm not much into hip hop so I shy away from the albums he's done with that flavor.

What I have are Inside (solo piano), A New Life (solo piano), and Nfmube (duo w/John Santos).

Any comments, stories or recomendations?

One of the most original bandleaders to come out of Cuba in the last twenty years, IMO. Concerning his skills as a pianist, I'm uncertain: There is an almost meditative solo piano disc that I find downright beautiful, but his soloing in a band context is not that varied. But his projects are all different. I caught him live a few years ago in a band with a rapper, three Cuban batĂ¡ drummers, bass and traps, singer and saxist - very original stuff. As a bandleader I find him far more interesting than Rubalcaba or any Valdes.

http://www.omarsosa.com/

http://www.melodia.com/omar/

Edited by mikeweil

Saw him at the Bath Fest about 5 years ago. Enjoyed it more than I expected !

What do you mean "more than expected"?

Well, his style of music is one that I don't usually listen to much nor am I particularly 'in to', so I was pleasantly suprised. A nice, relaxing evening.

Edited by sidewinder

Guest Bill Barton

Relaxing :blink: does not really sound like the Sosa i know,

I haven't yet had the pleasure of hearing him in live performance, but judging from Sentir (which I love, although folks with limited interest in rap poetry or hip-hop might be put off) and a boot of a concert he did with David Murray, "relaxing" doesn't describe his muse for me either.

Guest Bill Barton

Really? I remember it being pretty laid back. Although that feeling may be exacerbated by some of the Scandinavian free jazz etc. that preceded it at this fest. :)

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I have a compilation CD of his titled Ballads (on Ota) that would definitely fit the "relaxing" or "laid back" description.

The gigs i attended were to say the least energetic, he was there with a huge band, don't remember how much but i know the set was crowdwd to the max. It was basically high paced Cuban-African rythms in which he mixed improvisational piano runs. Very free feeling and free flowing and you never what was going to happen next. One of his singers was dancing and shaking her thing so much throughout the show that i feared she was going to have an heart attack.

It was one of those performance that the band actually wore out people who were there to dance.

Really? I remember it being pretty laid back. Although that feeling may be exacerbated by some of the Scandinavian free jazz etc. that preceded it at this fest. :)

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I have a compilation CD of his titled Ballads (on Ota) that would definitely fit the "relaxing" or "laid back" description.

I have two solo piano albums that are part of that Ballad compilation and you're right. They are relaxing sets for the most part, thought there is some percussive technique on a few numbers. The live shows I saw in '98 were with a quintet and they were sizzling. Anything BUT relaxed.

• 3 months later...