Bags Groove RVG remaster

MichL

I recently bought the RVG remaster of Bags Groove and I must say I was disapointed. It sounds muffled to me. I at first thought that my system wasn't warmed up enough. Not the case! My K2 (domestic) remaster is much more open and clear sounding. Miles's horn sound bloated on the RVG. I think RVG messed this one up.

Has any one else heard the RVG Bags Groove? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Michael

For many OJC recordings, I've found the K2 remaster to be the best one among the "affordable" reissues, excluding 45rpm LP sets, DCC CDs and XRCDs. I've also found them superior to most Fantasy SACD reissues, which are generally a disappointment in terms of mastering.

I don't have much experience with the Fantasy RVG series, but the few CD's I've heard did not encourage me to explore it further. Some sound poor, some OK, none really outstanding. The chance that they represent a sonic upgrade over the regular OJC CD are low, not to speak of the K2.

I've no dog in this hunt, but it strikes me that the Prestige RVG material is more..."problematic" in the source material than the BN, probably because of Lion's proactiveness in the recording/mastering process. So, really, I don't know how much "more" you can expect.

Agree? Disagree?

For many OJC recordings, I've found the K2 remaster to be the best one among the "affordable" reissues, excluding 45rpm LP sets, DCC CDs and XRCDs. I've also found them superior to most Fantasy SACD reissues, which are generally a disappointment in terms of mastering.

I don't have much experience with the Fantasy RVG series, but the few CD's I've heard did not encourage me to explore it further. Some sound poor, some OK, none really outstanding. The chance that they represent a sonic upgrade over the regular OJC CD are low, not to speak of the K2.

I have bought several of the Fantasy RVGs, mostly of titles I didn't already own, and found them to be very good. There was another dud Training In I believe. Some RVGs replaced OJC titles I already had. By in large they were big improvements over the OJCs. Though I must say most OJCs are good straight transferes. K2s are consistantly good. Replacing a K2 with an RVG has proven to be a lateral move for the most part. So I probably won't buy RVGs if I already own a K2 in the future.

I have enjoyed the Fantasy SACDs, though I agree some are not the last word in mastering. Some a very good. Dolphy's Out There is the most detailed and present version I have heard. That includes RVG, and K2. You can hear the resonance of the cello more clearly on the SACD.

In Japan there is a series of 150(?) cds from the Fantasy catalog that have been remastered in DSD. These were made by Universal Japan. Too bad they didn't make these SACD Hybrids!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Kept all of my K2's and have no desire nor reason to upgrade them. This was one of the best reissue series hands down, cut short with the purchase of Fantasy. Too bad. These were consisitently high quality sounding cd's.

I agree. The japan-only K2 remasters of OJC material also mostly sound very good, though some sound more manipulated (boosted bass) than the US K2 remasters. Many of them can be bought for around $10 from asian sellers on Ebay.