Ever got a delivery from the Post Office you didn't order?

Yesterday, when I was away from home, my brother received a package delivered to our address that we didn't order. We weren't expecting a package and before he could ask what it was, the postman put the box in his hand and ran off.

Turns out that somebody with the same name had ordered a set of home theater speakers & whoever was processing the orders redelivered to our address after they couldn't reach the recipient at his house.

The eerie thing is I had ordered a similar type item from the same retailer last year.

It is a fairly heavy item and I don't have time or the energy to take it on the bus with me. Do I keep it?

Can't you contact the post office (or UPS or whoever) and have them pick it up and re-deliver it?

I've had simliar things happen to me and I have gone out of my way to correct the situation, but then I tend to believe in the whole karma thing.

EDIT: Just ask yourself "what would TRANE do?" (WWTD)

Edited by Free For All

The eerie thing is I had ordered a similar type item from the same retailer last year.

That is strange, somehow you might have been double shipped and maybe even double charged.

The shipper should take it back.

You could leave a note on the package for your carrier or better yet write on the package DID NOT ORDER, RETURN TO SENDER!. That said, I don't know your neighborhood and maybe it might not be a good idea to leave the package out in the open? The other alternative would be to call your local PO and have them pick the item up.

Tom the Postman

Can't you contact the post office (or UPS or whoever) and have them pick it up and re-deliver it?

I've had simliar things happen to me and I have gone out of my way to correct the situation, but then I tend to believe in the whole karma thing.

EDIT: Just ask yourself "what would TRANE do?" (WWTD)

There is usually nobody in the house and I would have to either leave it on my front porch or take a day off work to hand it directly to the Postal Service guy. Karma or not, I'm not missing getting paid for a day over something that I didn't ask for.

BTW, the retailer has me as the purchaser of record, so I guess I'll check my CC bill.

That is strange, somehow you might have been double shipped and maybe even double charged.

The shipper should take it back.

It is a different recipient & other name & brand.

Edited by trane_fanatic

You could leave a note on the package for your carrier or better yet write on the package DID NOT ORDER, RETURN TO SENDER!. That said, I don't know your neighborhood and maybe it might not be a good idea to leave the package out in the open? The other alternative would be to call your local PO and have them pick the item up.

Tom the Postman

You wouldn't want to leave anything outside in my neighborhood. As for the other option, well, see 2 posts above.

Trane, isn't there a local Post Office in your neighborhood or near your workplace? I realise it may be a pain in the ass to have to stand in line to return the darn thing. But it sure beats having to stand around waiting for your carrier to show up for his appointed rounds and miss a day from work. Just make sure you write on the package DID NOT ORDER, REFUSED or RETURN TO SENDER. That should solve your problem.

Trane, isn't there a local Post Office in your neighborhood or near your workplace? I realise it may be a pain in the ass to have to stand in line to return the darn thing. But it sure beats having to stand around waiting for your carrier to show up for his appointed rounds and miss a day from work. Just make sure you write on the package DID NOT ORDER, REFUSED or RETURN TO SENDER. That should solve your problem.

The package is quite heavy and the P.O. is far off.

Edited by trane_fanatic

It is a different recipient & other name & brand.

BTW, the retailer has me as the purchaser of record, so I guess I'll check my CC bill.

That is strange. :rfr

Oh, I see. It was in my brother's name that I had purchased CDs years ago from said retailer to take advantage of a coupon offer using different accounts. However, I had used my CC to pay for them. So if they shipped it to my brother at the address, perhaps they could've charged something to my CC account. Anyway, the matter is taken care of now.

I got an email from Footlocker.com for an order I didn't place. What I could never figure out was how/why the individual would have submitted my email. I called to try to straighten it out and never received anything or (of course) got charged for anything.

But I still get spam from Footlocker every week. :rmad: