One-Track Ponies : Jazz Albums You Keep Just For One Track

Chas

There are a few mid 70s albums by Chick Corea and Stan Clarke with one absolutely amazing track and everything else crap. Such tracks as "Ode To John", and "No Mystery" are just fabulous. What a waste of their enormous talent on the boring tracks. (Plus the sad fact that they were both hoodwinked by that used car salesman Ron Hubbard. Ought to have more sense.)

I have several albums where there is mainly one track that I really like, for various reasons.

I had not thought of "Blue Train" in this context, but, to be totally honest, I only normally think of the title track - when I do think of the album. (For me, I don't buy all the remarks about it being his best album of the period. It is excellent, but I just pigeonhole it with the best of the Prestige albums. One thing that IS special is the presence of Philly Joe, whom Bob Weinstock didn't like. Philly Joe is superior to Art Taylor, great though Art was, and it would have been nice to have him alongside Red Garland and Paul Chambers.)

• 2 weeks later...