Techheads: Is there any way to make a file viewable...

I wish to lock a certain video file on a USB key so that it can be fully viewable, but not copyable. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks, Org geeks! :g

Basically, anything you can view or listen to on a computer can be ripped or copied, though in some cases there is a loss of fidelity and the hassle isn't worth it for the majority of people.

I wish to lock a certain video file on a USB key so that it can be fully viewable, but not copyable. Is there an easy way to do this?

Basically, anything you can view or listen to on a computer can be ripped or copied, though in some cases there is a loss of fidelity and the hassle isn't worth it for the majority of people.

It can't be encoded somehow, like those iTunes files?

It can't be encoded somehow, like those iTunes files?

I can think of 4 or 5 ways to rip and copy iTunes files. If there is a program that plays the media on a computer in the first place, then someone has already figured out a hack around any copy protection.

I can think of 4 or 5 ways to rip and copy iTunes files. If there is a program that plays the media on a computer in the first place, then someone has already figured out a hack around any copy protection.

Yeah, I figured as much. But your average Joe doesn't, does he? ... I am reassured that those who create technology can't control it. ;)

Yeah, I figured as much. But your average Joe doesn't, does he? ... I am reassured that those who create technology can't control it. ;)

True most people just can't be bothered, but most of these techniques can be found in under 5 minutes using a Google search. Now we are probably only a few years away from Google starting to block access to sites that encourage hacking of various sorts, at which point there will probably be an underground search engine that arises that focuses on hacks (just as there are already engines for torrents and cracked software).

just wanted to throw in i am with ejp on this issue... anything that people can play on their computer can be ripped using software that is found within minutes... i wouldn't even try to encode stuff... just brings up bad emotions in people (think of copyprotected cds) and doesn't prevent them from doing anything they want to do