Help with bridge to "Round Midnight"

Soul Stream

I'd rather look at in a musical context instead of a historical-moving-ahead-looking back, ect...thing (I'm pretty good with words). Musical ideas are ideas whether it was 1930 or 2030...and sometimes when get so caught up in "our" time or somebody else's time that we forget it's all but a blip. Evolution takes a long time and it's all part of it. Monk's music has become more potent as time goes simply because he was so different and willing to take 'old' ideas on incorporate them. Those "older" ideas were all valid for Monk it seemed. That's a valuable musical lesson for all time. This could be said of Mingus as well...they were so far ahead and behind of everyone.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right. They did what they did as fully as it could be done, and because of that it has life beyond their time. Anybody else wants to have that, then they gotta do what they do as fully as it can be done.

The rest of us, we answer the phone when it rings. :g

Still needing help....

The first measure is Em7 to Cm7flat5

The second measure is suppose to be Aflat minor7 to Eflat7...

However...it sounds like something else is happening before the Aflat minor7... perhaps it's an F bass note...not sure, trying to listen to Monk but it's still not clear to my ears. Any help? Thanks?

Yes, that is the book in question. I think there is a B flat version.

Still not sure about the first few measures. (calling Michael Weiss?... :D ). Guess I'm trying to figure out when the melody hits the Cm7flat5 to the Aflatmin7....also in the book on the third measure they have it going back to Em7 with a Cm7flat five in () underneath. If you put a C in the bass at that point...and go to the Cm7flatfive instead of the Em7...it sounds pretty damn coool.

Edited by Soul Stream

Still not sure about the first few measures. (calling Michael Weiss?... :D ). Guess I'm trying to figure out when the melody hits the Cm7flat5 to the Aflatmin7....also in the book on the third measure they have it going back to Em7 with a Cm7flat five in () underneath. If you put a C in the bass at that point...and go to the Cm7flatfive instead of the Em7...it sounds pretty damn coool.

Speaking very seriously here:

1. Take out all of your recordings of Monk playing Round Midnight.

2. Cue up each recording to the measures in question - as they exist in the first, second and last eight bars of the tune - the in-head and the out-head

3. While selection is playing, sit at your instrument, and try to find the notes being played.

4. Repeat, 50 times if necessary, until you find your answer or have at least narrowed down the possibilities.

5. Notate your findings as you go.

This is how we do it. We go to the source, and develop our ears in the process.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Speaking very seriously here:

1. Take out all of your recordings of Monk playing Round Midnight.

2. Cue up each recording to the measures in question - as they exist in the first, second and last eight bars of the tune - the in-head and the out-head

3. While selection is playing, sit at your instrument, and try to find the notes being played.

4. Repeat, 50 times if necessary, until you find your answer or have at least narrowed down the possibilities.

5. Notate your findings as you go.

This is how we do it. We go to the source, and develop our ears in the process.

Thanks Michael. Will do. I've gathered 9 different versions of Monk playing 'Round Midnight.' From the original Blue Note recording to live versions from the the Five Spot, It Club, Blackhawk and Jazz Workshop. Also his solo recordings of it from Riverside and Columbia. I'm going to start with the Blue Note recording and do what you've suggested. Thanks again for all your help. It's nice to hear from guys in the big leagues what should be done to tackle something like this.

***edit note...Michael, I actually found out what I was trying to learn by listening to Bud Powell's version on that live recording 'Round About Midnight at The Blue Note w/Kenny Clarke and Pierre Michelot (what a great record! But the bass is very clear on that recording as is the piano). That said, I'm now going back to the beginning with Monk and working my way forward. Thanks for everything.

Edited by Soul Stream