Dick Buckley to retire

rpklich

The last jazz dj at WBEZ in Chicago is to retire: http://apps.wbez.org/blog/ , his last show is this Sunday. WBEZ, for many years had jazz programming on in the evenings (when working people could listen), and at nights. By the time Buckley became the last jazz DJ, the WBEZ jazz programming had evolved into a soulless mix of piano trios, and vocalists. Buckley was the exception, playing what he liked, mostly stuff from the 30's, 40's and 50's.

...you could tell Dick genuinely liked what he played, and that that made a difference in how the music came across.

Very true! The end of an era. Spent a lot of Sunday afternoons listening and being turned onto great music I may of otherwise ignored. No hip trendy B.S. musical or otherwise... just fine music being served up by someone who obviously loves it. :tup

I managed to catch Dick Buckley's final show last Sunday. I was always a huge fan of his presentation, especially being a musician myself. He played his favorite records: the Bob Crosby Band, Count Basie, and Duke Ellington. He was his usual self, at one point complaining about how many bands just end a song cold instead of arranging a proper ending. He had some guests on the show (that talked too much in my opinion), and they played an old Schlitz commercial that Dick did back in the 70s, and an old recording of him at a live festival. The last song he played was "C Jam Blues" by Duke Ellington, and Buckley admired Ellington's genius for being able to turn something so simple into a work of brilliance. At the end, he thanked all his listeners for all the wonderful years. He was very reluctant to say goodbye, repeating that he just couldn't do it, until finally he wished us goodbye: "I hate saying goodbye, but... goodbye. Happiness."