nmorin

From jazzmatazz:

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (Riverside) Oct 21

— 20-bit K2 remastered; with Sam Jones; Philly Joe Jones; from 1958

Thelonious Monk/Gerry Mulligan - Mulligan Meets Monk (Riverside) Oct 21

— 20-bit K2 remastered; 1957

Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar (Riverside) Oct 21

— 20-bit K2 remastered; with Mel Rhyne and Jimmy Cobb; 1963

I ordered the "Mulligan Meets Monk" from CDUniverse. I'm excited to actually hear a bass on this album for the first time, unlike my older Prestige copy.

Strange that they still release audiophile CD versions when there is the possibility to make hybrid SACDs.

I already have the Bill Evans on XRCD and the Wes Montgomery on a DCC disc, maybe I will get the Monk & Mulligan, which I have in a cheapo Monk Riverside box from Zweitausendeins.

No negative slant intended toward the names mentioned below:

We often discuss the remastering styles of Van Gelder & McMaster. Both men are good and not-as-good at different times.

But, those darn K2s! I don't know much of the who/how of the K2 process. However, they always sound good to me (with no Van Gelder/McMaster discussion involved).

I want the Monk/Mulligan. :tup

Edited by wesbed

No negative slant intended toward the names mentioned below:

We often discuss the remastering styles of Van Gelder & McMaster. Both men are good and not-as-good at different times.

But, those darn K2s! I don't know much of the who/how of the K2 process. However, they always sound good to me (with no Van Gelder/McMaster discussion involved).

I want the Monk/Mulligan. :tup

Wesbed,

I agree with you 100% about the K2's. Every one I have ever purchased has sounded really good. Of course, often times the original OJC's didn't sound too bad either. Since I don't the Wes or the Mulligan, I am looking forward to these titles. I already have the Bill Evans but if I find a good deal I might have to splurge. B)

K2s sound really nice. . . but. . .I know I'm going to take some flak for this. . .but I prefer a few OJC remasters of titles to the K2 versions, case in point the Newman-Clay "The Sound of the Wide Open Spaces." The Kirk Felton remastered and remixed version I prefer to the K2---it's just better sounding in important ways.

The K2 I have of Miles Davis' Workin' doesn't sound too good to me--as though the tape used for the remastering was pretty worn in spots.

However, the K2 for Bags meets Wes is one of the best sounding CDs I have, period. And the K2 for Django is great-sounding too.