John Patton on Rhodes!!!

JSngry

Johnny Lytle - Everything Must Change Muse MR 5158 recorded 1977, released 1978

JohnnyLytle_EverythingMustC.jpg

Also w/George Duvivier & Al Foster. And a harpist. And an Arp player. Kinda sounds like a "street" version of CTI, which has all the pros and cons that you might imagine, as well as some that you might not (like, doing "Send In The Clowns" in an uptempo "Sky dive"-ish-only-friskier groove, which works damn well, much to mu shock and awe).

Is there any other non-Lloyd Proce example of BJP on anything besides organ? He only plays one solo on this album, but his comp is, as you might expect, waaaaay happening.

Here it is not too far from 15 years after the label shut down, and I'm still discovering Muse sides that I never knew existed. Some of this stuff must've had extremely "local" distribution...

Edited by JSngry

I think this is when John was in, as his wife Thelma once described it, his "way underground" years. My guess is that John probably didn't play electric piano at all, and it was just a one off studio thing. My feeling from John was that he never turned to other instruments like the electric piano and synths in the B3's unpopular era. He simply sat it out for the most part playing organ where/when he could and teaching music in NYC public school to "troubled kids." (A job he hated, but did to get through the lean times).

But yeah, it's cool to hear John on the Rhodes. I've got that album but haven't played it in a long time. Send In The Clowns kills me. I really dig that neglected era in a lot of ways.

SOUL STREAM: ive read up on that large bio on the bjp myspace about his "underground" period, but since you are such an expert in all this bjp, can you please give us some other info we need to know about that. So he really taught music to kids, but didnt like that job? he also arranged for the jackson five. what else was he up to? lets talk about bjp!