Toshiko on What's My Line

JSngry

Very cool, Jim. What a sweetheart! Interesting to see her so young and with little grasp of the language. I've had the opportunity to cross paths with her several times over the years and she is still a sweet lady. Playing her charts though, now THAT'S a bitch! :lol:

Would have liked to hear her throw down w/Steve Allen!

They don't make them sweeter than Toshiko, and ditto for Lew. I have to wonder if Steve Allen was as uninformed as he appeared to be—after all, Oscar Peterson was involved in getting Toshiko to the U.S. and that was not a secret. Thanks for that link, Jim.

BTW. Did anyone notice that Dorothy Kilgallen was credited as Kilgaren?

...the "lively" arts??

:lol:

From an old book by Gilbert Seldes, a collection of essays in which he argued that the popular or "low" arts could be as deserving of critical attention as the old "high" arts. The seven were: Comic strips, Movies, Musical Comedy, Vaudeville, Radio, Popular Music, and Dance. I think the book was written just a little too early to include television. I used to have a copy; probably still do, banging around here somewhere.

...the "lively" arts??

:lol:

From an old book by Gilbert Seldes, a collection of essays in which he argued that the popular or "low" arts could be as deserving of critical attention as the old "high" arts. The seven were: Comic strips, Movies, Musical Comedy, Vaudeville, Radio, Popular Music, and Dance. I think the book was written just a little too early to include television. I used to have a copy; probably still do, banging around here somewhere.

Also, a TV show. This is where "The Sound of Jazz" video/album comes from.

She remains shy—charmingly so—but Toshiko does not let that get in the way of her creativity, which—as we all know—is considerable.

interesting, as i haven't seen her as shy for many, many decades. in fact, i see her as fierce and passionate. she still has an "Asian demeanor," for lack of a better way to describe it, and very polite but certainly not shy. in fact, i'd say she has more of a "tiger in her tank" than shyness!! just my personal opinion though, fwiw.

Edited by ValerieB