Laser surgery for correcting myopia.

porcy62

Depending on the type of laser surgery you are having for your retina, you may not be a good candidate for LASIK. I'm assuming you're having laser treatment for lattice degeneration or incipient retinal tear? (I'm assuming this because you are nearsighted which would correlate with lattice or some type of peripheral retinal issue). You most likely would not be a candidate for LASIK if you have lattice but could probably/possibly have PRK. LASIK utilizes a suction ring to prepare the eye for creating the flap which wouldn't be recommended for someone with an already compromised peripheral retina.

I would ask your doctor if your retinal situation is a contraindication for having your nearsightedness corrected.

Good luck with your retina treatment!

Depending on the type of laser surgery you are having for your retina, you may not be a good candidate for LASIK. I'm assuming you're having laser treatment for lattice degeneration or incipient retinal tear? (I'm assuming this because you are nearsighted which would correlate with lattice or some type of peripheral retinal issue). You most likely would not be a candidate for LASIK if you have lattice but could probably/possibly have PRK. LASIK utilizes a suction ring to prepare the eye for creating the flap which wouldn't be recommended for someone with an already compromised peripheral retina.

Rachel, I'm trying to guess what profession you might be in... lawyer? Painter? Short order cook? Computer programmer? Opthalmologist?

Rachel, I'm trying to guess what profession you might be in... lawyer? Painter? Short order cook? Computer programmer? Opthalmologist?

:D

I've worked in Ophthalmology for 20+ years. I currently work at a multispecialty referral/consultation Ophthalmology practice; we do everything from routine eye exams to complicated cataract/corneal procedures, glaucoma, retina, ophthalmic plastic surgery, and clinical research.

I would love to try short order cooking sometime, but I'm sure I don't have the aptitude for that (too much going on at once)! I also sucked at waitstaffing. ^_^

edited for typo

Edited by rachel

Ok, I talked with my doctor.

Basically she said that if I am ok with glasses e/o contact lens, she didn't see any valid reasons for going under surgery, considering my age and the inevitable risk, though small, of any sugery.

Now, since I have to replace old glasses I accept suggestions.

I was thinking about something like these:

elton_john3.jpg

:D

Edited by porcy62