Dave Holland: Pass It On

B. Goren.

Since leaving ECM, his last few albums feature really poor artwork, IMO. Looks like stuff that a teenager could put together on a PC in about 15 minutes.

g66408h3au9.jpgh41965pa3g8.jpgl57079bvefe.jpg

I like the new artwork. "Critical Mass" as well. Better than many, not as good as some. At least it looks intentional. :lol:

Edited by RDK

They played an excellent set last night! It was indeed the new line-up from the CD, but Steve Nelson was still on vibes instead of Miller on piano. I was right in front, and Nelson was great--you could tell he and Holland had a strong connection. A few of the tunes reminded me of Moncur III because they'd heaviliy feature Eubanks on the bone with a dark, bluesy rhythm behind. Alex Sipiagin looks like a frat boy but plays trumpet and flugelhorn beautifully. Antonio Hart spoke! Solos oozing with Coltrane. Harland was sort of forgettable on drums, but he kept a good groove going alongside Holland, who was obviously masterful. I got to meet and speak with Holland briefly afterward. Great show.

I thought using piano (especially because it's Mulgrew Miller) was a nice choice. Not that I didn't like Steve Nelson, it's just nice to hear some different instrumentation.

I hear ya. Nelson was great during the show, but I couldn't help thinking about how it would sound nice with a piano instead. I play piano myself (poorly), so I tend to prefer it included in rhythm sections.

I've been listening to Pass It On since Tuesday, and I like it a lot.

It sounds much more like an old Blue Note than any of the other Holland records I have, in part because the harmonies remind me of the mid-60s Blue Note sound. However, drummer Eric Harland uses a modern New Orleans polyrhythmic beat on some of the songs that I've never found on a Blue Note.

Some of the songs are more free than others, but generally the album swings much more than any of Holland's ECM albums that I've heard.

Much of the album is made up of songs previously recorded. Here's a list, with the other albums they were included on:

Lazy Snake (Dream of the Elders)

Equality (Dream of the Elders)

Double Vision (Seeds of Time)

Rivers Run (Triplicate)

Processional (Extensions)

Modern Times (Homecoming)

I haven't heard that many Holland albums, but of the ones I have heard, Pass It On is the one most likely to be preferred by the posters here.

By the way, I find that the time goes by very quickly when I listen to it.

• 2 weeks later...