I THINK he's still a contributor to The Atlantic Monthly and occasionally The New Yorker, though it's been a while since I've seen anything with his name on it. OTOH, I don't look at every single issue of those magazines anymore. Someone also told me that he contributes to The New York Times, but that was a year or two ago. He certainly hasn't seemed to come out with a collection of writings for quite a while.

He does from time to time write for The Atlantic Monthly, although I haven't seen anything by him there lately. Four or five years ago I had two letters to the Atlantic Monthly published in reply to an article he wrote about Wayne Shorter. It was shockingly poorly researched and full of inaccuracies, which could have been avoided by even the most cursory research. Needless to say I don't really care for his writing or his critical faculties when it comes to jazz.

MM

uhh, is that Michele Mercer, above? not exactly an uninterested observer, re-the Shorter book (she wrote it) - see Mike Ftizgerald's posts some time ago for his take on the problems with that book -

Francis told me some time ago that he is working again on the Coltrane book - I will be talking to him this weekend and so will get an update on other activities - other than that, I do not believe he contributes to Atlantic anymore, but I will ask about it - the Voice gig is definitely over -