Bob Gordon

P.D.

I'm trying to put together my own CDr ' Mosaic" of Bob Gordon, the West Coast baritone saxophonist who is touted by critics as being a serious challenge to Mulligan had he lived.

Seems possible, but I'm not really into ' might have beens", but I do like Gordon.

He played and recorded with Les Brown towards the end of his career.

Any Les Brown, or Gordon , addict know if he solo'd on any Brown records? I don't want to buy old Les Brown records on spec.

Also the Lyle ' Spud" Murphy recordings on GNP

Only interested in Gordon solos

If you have information and/or discs CDr swaps welcome.

Edited by P.D.

Carmell no still looking.. had I found the Mombassa you would have received a copy.

Some yes.. but they really aren't every recorded note.. Would you like a list?

It passes the time in this best of all possible worlds

Edited by P.D.

Thanks Brownie, I ordered the GNP and another bord member has the Les Brown in the mail to me, plus a rare Zoot / Bob Gordon date.

The local record store has the Les Brown Lp but want $25.00 for it, not being a big Les Brown followere ( although the line up for that particular disc seemed interesting) I didn't want to buy it " sight unseen" so to speak

The Les Brown All Stars may be listed under the name of Les Brown but he did not have much to do with the sessions. The only common denominator with the groups performing on it is that the four leaders (Dave Pell, Ronny Lang, Don Fagerquist and Ray Sims) all played with the Les Brown Band. This is the only Les Brown related album I have and it's good.

Bob Gordon plays with the Don Fagerquist Nonette (which includes Zoot Sims) and with the Dave Pell Ensemble. He is featured on several numbers. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this.

What's the rare Bob Gordon/Zoot Sims date?