a bandleader muses on sidepersons' do's and don'ts

fasstrack

First off, as to your entry of 11/2/08 you wrote:

The only drag was that time ran out before I could feature our drummer Vanderlai, very accomplished at Brazilian music, to set up and lead Samba de Orfeu...

The first time I heard that tune was on the LP "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio and was impressed by the drumming of Colin Bailey. Although that album dated back to the 60s, CB is a monster player and still playing in the San Francisco area.

But back to the topic at hand, I would like to add two of my pet peeves:

1. Don't criticize the other musicians in the band. It's my band, not yours, and I hired them because I like the way they play.

2. Act your age on the bandstand. I should not have to reprimand you for belching into your microphone while playing at an upscale restaurant/lounge.

For Pete's sake, it's like running a day care sometimes.

First off, as to your entry of 11/2/08 you wrote:

The only drag was that time ran out before I could feature our drummer Vanderlai, very accomplished at Brazilian music, to set up and lead Samba de Orfeu...

The first time I heard that tune was on the LP "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio and was impressed by the drumming of Colin Bailey. Although that album dated back to the 60s, CB is a monster player and still playing in the San Francisco area.

But back to the topic at hand, I would like to add two of my pet peeves:

1. Don't criticize the other musicians in the band. It's my band, not yours, and I hired them because I like the way they play.

2. Act your age on the bandstand. I should not have to reprimand you for belching into your microphone while playing at an upscale restaurant/lounge.

For Pete's sake, it's like running a day care sometimes.

Actually, I dread playing that tune with most guys b/c they play wrong changes on the bridge, copying them, sheeplike, from guys they like who are also wrong. I happen to dig Vince, BTW, but Americans (myself incluided, or especially) really ruin Brazilian music. The feel of their clave is really their own, and unlike Afro-Cuban. It's just subtle and the ahead-of-the-beat but so nice phrasing, like when Elis sings is just something you have to grow up with. I heard (probably apocraphal) Jobim was pissed at Getz and Sinatra both for fing up the phrasing of his music---though I'm sure he was grateful as hell they recorded it and probably enjoyed their versions anyway. Getz really felt that music and adapted to me. Sinatra singing Gene Lees' lyrics after hearing Elis sing the original Portugese on Corcovado....well I love the Chairman but No Cigar. For Lees' lyrics either, though they're serviceable or better. 'Dindi' is a hell of a good lyric. 'I'd let you go away...if you'd take me with you'...But it still pales...

I don't have those kinds of problems really. People do get out of line but only slightly. I usually know who to get anyway. I have no gigs now :( so it's six and one half.........