Charles Earland - "Freakin' Off" Big Chance LP?

Jazz Vinyl

I recently found a copy of Charles Earland "Freakin' Off" on Big Chance Records. It's a poorly mixed funky live session with lots of bar noise and tenor playing. Contains some cool covers - Fly Me To The Moon, Milestones. Cover provides no recording detail. I think it was recorded before his Prestige dates. Does anyone know the story behind this recording?

Thanks

http://stores.ebay.com/wattsjazz

The LP’s ‘Freakin’ Off’ (Big Chance) and ‘Charles Earland Live’ (Trip) are virtually the same album. The sessions are mostly fake “live” recordings (though the take of ‘Strangers in the Night’ sounds like an actual live recording), but feature a heavily reverbed appearance of ‘Yas-Suh!’ (listed as ‘Yes Sir’ on the Trip LP). The Big Chance LP yielded one 45 ‘Freakin’ Off Pts 1&2’. I’ve never seen anything else on that label (same goes for Rare Bird). Trip (along with it’s associated label Springboard) was a NJ based cheapo reissue house with an MO of releasing an artists early/forgotten (Cher, the Yardbirds, Charles Mingus among others) work as if it was new. Their Earland LP continues that tradition.

CHARLES EARLAND

Charles Earland (org) others unknown.

Probably Philadelphia, prob late 1970/early 1971

Freakin' Off Pt 1 Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Freakin' Off Pt 2 Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Strangers in the Night Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Fly Me To The Moon Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

One For Lee Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Stormy Monday Blues Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Days Of Wine And Roses Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Getting To Know You Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Yeah Sir Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Milestones Big Chance 5001, Trip 5004

Big Chance 5001 issued as "Freakin' Off"

Trip 5004 issued as "Charles Earland"

"Freakin' off" is not poorly mixed - it is a completely fucked up version of some of the tracks from George Freeman's LP "Introducing George Freeman with Charlie Earland sitting in" on Giant Step GS005 (produced by Gus "Silk" Lacy, a Philly DJ). What the remixers have done is tried to cut George Freeman's part in the proceedings right down, so he's more or less inaudible, and make Earland's part more prominent. A couple of different tracks are included in "Freakin' off", I think, but I can't be sure as the thing's too effin' awful to do a back to back comparison.

If you see the George Freeman issue, get that one, it sounds good. (And there are also a couple of tracks with Jimmy McGriff sittin' in uncredited.)

MG

"Freakin' off" is not poorly mixed - it is a completely fucked up version of some of the tracks from George Freeman's LP "Introducing George Freeman with Charlie Earland sitting in" on Giant Step GS005 (produced by Gus "Silk" Lacy, a Philly DJ). What the remixers have done is tried to cut George Freeman's part in the proceedings right down, so he's more or less inaudible, and make Earland's part more prominent. A couple of different tracks are included in "Freakin' off", I think, but I can't be sure as the thing's too effin' awful to do a back to back comparison.

If you see the George Freeman issue, get that one, it sounds good. (And there are also a couple of tracks with Jimmy McGriff sittin' in uncredited.)

MG

Certain people had a shot at my beautiful, NM, bought for a quarter off eBay copy, but not anymore ... when I saw the titles listed for the release, I wondered if these were tunes off the Giant Steps LP. And I was right.