Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

AfricaBrass

Wow...I haven't seen this since 1979. I'm not sure it would be the same without the Auditory Cycle Injection Deversion.... :wacko:

I am SOOO unhip, I have to admit, I don't have the slightest clue what that is?

I do however, often see flying pigs. Is there a connection here?

I am SOOO unhip, I have to admit, I don't have the slightest clue what that is?

I do however, often see flying pigs. Is there a connection here?

Probably. Though for me it was usually darting rabbits... :wacko:

(Just use the initials, Jazzdog...)

I am glad you posted before I went to bed...its the kind of thing that keeps a guy up at night~~ ;)

I had a chance to watch this yesterday.

Having spent a lot of years watching the original version, the Director's Cut was disappointing. Some of my favorite images where replaced with different ones. Especially in the beginning of the movie. They took out those great Roman statue faces and replaced them with a space animation. :(

I was pretty bummed until I looked at the DVD extras and found that the original version of the film was included as well. :D:D:D:D

This DVD is thus highly recommended!

I had a chance to watch this yesterday.

Having spent a lot of years watching the original version, the Director's Cut was disappointing. Some of my favorite images where replaced with different ones. Especially in the beginning of the movie. They took out those great Roman statue faces and replaced them with a space animation. :(

I was pretty bummed until I looked at the DVD extras and found that the original version of the film was included as well. :D:D:D:D

Ugh...welll I don't think I'll be watching the directors cut much anyways. It's all about Echoes, Saucerful and the making of the DSOTM footage! :)

Jazzdog,

I'd still check out the director's cut. There is some cool footage and it's worth a viewing, but I just think the original is better. I've seen the original so many times that the director's changes really bug me.

I still haven't checked out all the features yet. I watched it with my 2 year old son, but he made me take off the DVD because he wanted to watch Dora the Explorer. He did like Echoes, though!

:D

I was pretty bummed until I looked at the DVD extras and found that the original version of the film was included as well.  :D  :D  :D  :D

No, the original movie is NOT included. The DVD contains the new version of the movie ("director's cut") and the "original concert", which are only the music scenes in the Pompeij auditorium.

Edited by Claude

I was pretty bummed until I looked at the DVD extras and found that the original version of the film was included as well.  :D  :D  :D  :D

No, the original movie is NOT included. The DVD contains the new version of the movie ("director's cut") and the "original concert", which are only the music scenes in the Pompeij auditorium.

Oops!

The concert was the part I really wanted anyway.

But the scenes from Abbey Road are in the director's cut. They seemed very similar to the previous versions. Have you noticed any difference, Claude?

I haven't seen the original movie, so I can't say which one is better. There are sceptics who say the new version stinks, and some fans who were mislead by the "original concert" sticker on the DVD, thinking the disc contained both versions. But the original movie is only available on VHS.

There are a few goofy picture effects in the director´s cut, which look dated but surprisingly have been added or created for the new version. All in all, without knowing the original movie I enjoyed the DVD alot, especially the music scenes (of course) but also the studio footage which documents the Dark Side of The Moon recording (a complete DVD documentary with more of that has been released recently). Having the music scenes again seperately on the disc is a bonus, because this will certainly be played more often than the movie.

The picture quality is very good (I have the PAL version) and the sound is ok (not nearly as good as the studio recordings).

Edited by Claude

There are a few goofy picture effects in the director´s cut, which look dated but surprisingly have been added or created for the new version.

I was really surprised/disappointed by these new effects. They did look really dated, but not dated in a good way. I preferred the original titles to the new style ones. I always thought the original version had a great vibe.

Did the movie (upon it's initial release) have the Dark Side studio footage in it originally, or was it added to subsequent versions? I know my VHS copy and Laserdisc versions have it.

I'm still thrilled to have this on DVD. :D

• 1 year later...

Got it today and kinda skimmed through both cuts, first the original and then the director's cut. I'm glad this thread exists, because that director's cut confused the HELL outta me! I remembered watching this some 20 years ago at a friend's house, completely straight, and couldn't understand why I wasn't remembering the modern graphics!

Anyway, I really dig it (thanks, AB!!!). My only complaint is that there isn't much in the way of footage of Roger's bass playing. That, however, is made up for with a plethora of Nick Mason drumming!!! MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! :tup:tup:tup

I remembered watching this some 20 years ago at a friend's house, completely straight...

:unsure:

No drugs, no beer, no Auditory Cycle Injection Deversions.... :g

Although, taken in the context above, I can see where it might've come out wrong. What can I say? I should've been sleeping when I wrote that! :D;)

I'm glad you like it Al! There really isn't much Waters in it, but I'd rather see Gilmour playing anyway. When I was younger, I watched that movie intently to learn some of his guitar techiniques.

I prefer the original version to the Director's cut also.

I too think it's a great film sober. :g

• 2 months later...