Sublime "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel..." recording

jamievicary

Hi everyone. This really is a recommendation --- but it's also a cry for help, because I can't track down the recording!

I used to have an incredible recording of "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" in my collection. It was a live recording, instrumental, maybe just performed by a trio: piano, drums and bass. You can really hear the energy in the room; the solos are cheered heartily throughout, and at the end of the song, the crowd erupts with enthusiasm. I'm sure it's well-known --- I've heard it on jazz radio stations a couple of times, and it's such a work of beauty, it's impossible that a true jazz fan could hear it and forget about it.

I haven't listened to it for years and years now, but I can still hear it going around in my head! Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie.

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wish_I_Knew..._Be_Free_(song)

Hi everyone. This really is a recommendation --- but it's also a cry for help, because I can't track down the recording!

I used to have an incredible recording of "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" in my collection. It was a live recording, instrumental, maybe just performed by a trio: piano, drums and bass. You can really hear the energy in the room; the solos are cheered heartily throughout, and at the end of the song, the crowd erupts with enthusiasm. I'm sure it's well-known --- I've heard it on jazz radio stations a couple of times, and it's such a work of beauty, it's impossible that a true jazz fan could hear it and forget about it.

I haven't listened to it for years and years now, but I can still hear it going around in my head! Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie.

There was a "live" recording by the Taylor trio (maybe on a Capitol label - Tower?) that had a good version. The whole album was nice, and seems to have disappeared. Another version by him, not as interesting (has some kind of band over-dubbed), is available on one of those Blue Note compilations.

There was a "live" recording by the Taylor trio (maybe on a Capitol label - Tower?) that had a good version. The whole album was nice, and seems to have disappeared. Another version by him, not as interesting (has some kind of band over-dubbed), is available on one of those Blue Note compilations.

Great, thanks, that must be it! I've just picked up this LP on eBay, hopefully that's the one. Apparently this was rereleased on CD in 2002, but no sign of that anywhere.

What's the best place online to search for downloading stuff like this? (Legally, of course.)

iTunes or eMusic? I don't know as I don't download, but people around here who do seem to have some luck with it. But why not listen to it on a real stereo from a "real" medium?

Because it's so convenient! In this day and age, it's crazy that any recordings are still hard to get hold of. I'm paying over £20 to get an LP from the other side of the world, just to get my hands on a single track --- and I don't even know for sure it's the right one!