BFT #60 Disk 2

sidewinder

Here goes for disk 2:-

Track 1 - 'Two Note Samba'– Vic Lewis All Stars. From 'Plays Bossa Nova At Home And Away' (His Master’s Voice stereo LP)

Kicking off CD2 is a track from an LP recorded in 1963 by UK impresario/leader Vic Lewis. Although all of the tracks are in a bossa style, the first side of the LP has tracks by a UK line-up including Tubby Hayes and Jimmy Deuchar. For the second side (from which this track is lifted), Lewis boarded the Pan-Am airliner to LA to record with a fine West Coast lineup. It's a Shorty Rogers composition with Rogers on flugel, Al Hendrickson (guitar), Bud Shank (tenor), Bob Cooper (tenor), Jack Sheldon (trumpet) and Victor Feldman (piano).

As far as I know this rare HMV LP is the only issue of this music – certainly here in the UK. Not sure if the Japanese have reissued it.

DSC00320_edited.jpg

Track 2 - 'Peace On Earth' - Franklin Kiermeyer Quartet. From 'Solomon’s Daughter' (Evidence CD)

This track is taken from a CD recorded by Montreal-based drummer Kiermeyer with guest artist Pharoah Sanders on tenor. Released 1994, the rest of the band is John Esposito on piano and Drew Gress on bass. I did catch this group once (sans Pharoah) around the time this CD came out and they played a couple of tracks from it. A very fine session in ‘late-Trane’ style and to my mind one of Pharoah’s best sessions of recent years. Worth seeking out the Evidence CD - and it seems that quite a few people like the sound of this one.

DSC00356-1-1.jpg

Track 3 - 'Ballade'– Frank Evans. From 'Nocturne' (Blue Bag CD)

I was wondering if anyone would identify this one – obviously way too obscure. It’s by the late Frank Evans - a very fine Bristol-based guitarist influenced by Jim Hall and Tal Farlow and who seems to have got the most profile back in the 1970s/80s. Very respected around the West Country and was also sought out by Big Bad George Benson during one of George’s trips to Bristol - to do duets together. Primarily a solo guitar stylist - this one comes from the ‘Ballade’ album released on his own Blue Bag label. This version is from the CD issue of some years ago - it looks as if this might have been a semi-private issue as I only ever saw it for sale around the Bath/Bristol area. (Update - it's available here ! Frank Evans CDs)

(Sleeve Art To Follow)

Edited by sidewinder

Track 4 - 'Jenna'– Gerald Wilson Orchestra Orchestra of the ‘90s. From 'Jenna'(Discovery)

Gerald Wilson was correctly identified on this track, along with the stratospheric solo trumpet of Oscar Brashear. This album was put out by Wilson's 'Orchestra of the '90s' on Albert Marx’s ‘Discovery’ label – although actually recorded in 1989. Soloists are Randall Willis (alto), Brashear (trumpet) and Gerald’s son Anthony on guitar. The tune 'Jenna' was written for Gerald's 4-year old grand-daughter of the time (and not, thankfully, Ms Bush… ;) )

DSC00353-1-1.jpg

Track 5 - 'Blues a la Russ' - Russell Jacquet. From 'Black California Volume 2'(Savoy 2LP)

Nice to see this one causing some interest – and correctly identified as R&B originating from the West Coast. It's taken from Vol 2 of that fine Savoy 'Black California' collection, a double album that is jam packed with good stuff by Wardell Gray, Wild Bill Moore etc. This one was recorded Sept 1946 and features Jacquet (brother of Illinois) on trumpet & vocal, Gus Evans on alto, Dexter Gordon on tenor, Arthur Dennis (baritone), Jimmy Bunn (piano), Leo Blevins (guitar), Herman Washington (bass) and Chico Hamilton on drums. Numa Lee Davis also on vocals.

DSC00332_edited.jpg

Track 6 - 'Easy To Love'– Gene Ammons. From 'Jug' (Prestige)

Excellent modern-mainstream by an early 60s Gene Ammons group recorded for Prestige by RVG. This has been transferred from a Bergenfield LP pressing. Line-up is Ammons on tenor, Richard Wyands (piano), the brilliant Doug Watkins on bass and Ray Baretto (congas). Interestingly, no drummer listed. Instantly recognisable to my mind as an RVG Prestige recording of the early 1960s – very warm LP sound.

DSC00338_edited.jpg

Track 7 - 'Impromptu' – Neil Ardley. From 'Symphony Of Amaranths' (Regal Zonophone LP)

A second offering on this BFT from composer/bandleader Neil Ardley – 'Symphony' was the second part of his tryptich of the late 60s/early 70s that began with the 'Greek Variations' LP and ended with 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows'. Ardley obviously draws on the influences of Gil Evans, Duke Ellington and Bill Russo but also brings in classical orchestral and World music influences (including – notably on this track – Tibetan Gamelan music). In this respect, he was way ahead of his time. 'Impromptu' features tenor solos by Dick Heckstall-Smith and Don Rendell.

'Symphony of Amaranths' has not, to date sadly, been reissued on CD. Again, recorded for Dennis Preston at the Lansdowne Studios, it also includes a bizarre feature for folk-poet Ivor Cutler ('The Dong With The Luminous Nose').

DSC00315_edited.jpg

Track 2 - 'Peace On Earth' - Franklin Kiermeyer Quartet. From 'Solomon’s Daughter' (Evidence CD)

This track is taken from a CD recorded by Montreal-based drummer Kiermeyer with guest artist Pharoah Sanders on tenor. Released 1994, the rest of the band is John Esposito on piano and Drew Gress on bass. I did catch this group once (sans Pharoah) around the time this CD came out and they played a couple of tracks from it. A very fine session in ‘late-Trane’ style and to my mind one of Pharoah’s best sessions of recent years. Worth seeking out the Evidence CD - and it seems that quite a few people like the sound of this one.

DSC00356-1-1.jpg

Well, bugger me!

Greatly shamed at not recognising Pharoah.

MG

Track 5 - 'Blues a la Russ' - Russell Jacquet. From 'Black California Volume 2'(Savoy 2LP)

Nice to see this one causing some interest – and correctly identified as R&B originating from the West Coast. It's taken from Vol 2 of that fine Savoy 'Black California' collection, a double album that is jam packed with good stuff by Wardell Gray, Wild Bill Moore etc. This one was recorded Sept 1946 and features Jacquet (brother of Illinois) on trumpet & vocal, Gus Evans on alto, Dexter Gordon on tenor, Arthur Dennis (baritone), Jimmy Bunn (piano), Leo Blevins (guitar), Herman Washington (bass) and Chico Hamilton on drums. Numa Lee Davis also on vocals.

DSC00332_edited.jpg

I've often regretted not getting those "Black California" albums. And once more to the regret shop today.

MG

Track 6 - 'Easy To Love'– Gene Ammons. From 'Jug' (Prestige)

Excellent modern-mainstream by an early 60s Gene Ammons group recorded for Prestige by RVG. This has been transferred from a Bergenfield LP pressing. Line-up is Ammons on tenor, Richard Wyands (piano), the brilliant Doug Watkins on bass and Ray Baretto (congas). Interestingly, no drummer listed. Instantly recognisable to my mind as an RVG Prestige recording of the early 1960s – very warm LP sound.

DSC00338_edited.jpg

No drummer mentioned on mine, either. But the CD sez J C Heard.

MG

Track 3 - 'Ballade'– Frank Evans. From 'Nocturne' (Blue Bag CD)

I was wondering if anyone would identify this one – obviously way too obscure. It’s by the late Frank Evans - a very fine Bristol-based guitarist influenced by Jim Hall and Tal Farlow and who seems to have got the most profile back in the 1970s/80s. Very respected around the West Country and was also sought out by Big Bad George Benson during one of George’s trips to Bristol - to do duets together. Primarily a solo guitar stylist - this one comes from the ‘Ballade’ album released on his own Blue Bag label. This version is from the CD issue of some years ago - it looks as if this might have been a semi-private issue as I only ever saw it for sale around the Bath/Bristol area. (Update - it's available here ! Frank Evans CDs)

(Sleeve Art To Follow)

At least he got an airing on Jazz Record Requests! Geoffrey Smith played two of his tracks about a year ago IIRC.

Track 8 - 'Night Flower'– Michael Naura Quintet. From 'European Jazz Sounds' (Japanese Brunswick (!!) LP)

Another 1960s obscurity – in this case recorded in what was then West Germany by a group led by the Berlin-base pianist Michael Naura with Peter Reinke on alto sax, Wolfgang Schluter on vibes, Wolfgang Luschert on bass and Joe Nay on drums. Recorded Feb 1963 and issued here as a Japanese facsimile LP reissue on the Brunswick imprint. Not sure if this has ever been reissued on CD. Interesting to here the clinical, precise sound on this one – one would say very 'Germanic' in its way – and a precursor to the ECM sound. And interesting to compare it to groups operating in the UK at the time such as the Rendell/Carr Quintet. The sound is already very 'European' and drawing away from the US model.

DSC00335_edited.jpg

Track 9 - '49th Parallel'– Neil Swainson. From '49th Parallel'(Concord Jazz CD)

A reunion of Woody Shaw and Joe Henderson on this CD, recorded under Canadian bassist Swainson's name in 1987 and with fellow Toronto-based musicians Jerry Fuller on drums and Gary Williamson on piano. Recorded in Toronto, it's a lesser known title in the Shaw and Henderson discographies but I think a fine one, well worth seeking out. Certainly one of the best sessions by Woody Shaw in his last few years – at the time of this recording he was still sounding near his best. Sadly though, the back of the CD has a memorial dedication to him.

d75870oc74x.jpg

Track 10 - 'The Cross-Eyed Cat' – Sahib Shihab. From 'Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group' (Oktav CD)

The original LP of this one on the Oktav label is a real mega-rarity with just a few hundred copies pressed – the good news is that it has since been reissued in facsimile CD form at an affordable price. An excellent session by multi-instrumentalist Shihab with the Danish Radio Jazz Group. Recorded in 1965 by Shihab after he had moved residency to Copenhagen, it's a fine example both of Shihab’s skills as a multi-instrumentalist and of his arranging abilities with a mid-sized group. Also interesting as a precursor to his work with the CBBB.

Personnel: Sahib Shihab: baritone sax, flute, cowbell, vocal; Palle Bolvig, Palle Mikkelborg, Allan Botschinsky: trumpet and flugelhorn; Torolf Molgard: tuba, eufonium; Svend Age Nielsen: trombone, bass trombone; Poul Kjaeldgard: tuba, trombone, bass trombone; Poul Hindberg: alto sax, clarinet; Bent Jaedig: tenor sax, flute, clarinet; Niels Husum: tenor sax, soprano sax, bass clarinet; Bent Nielsen: baritone sax, flute, clarinet; Ib Renard: baritone sax; Louis Hjulmand: vibes; Fritz Von Bulow: guitar; Bent Axen: piano; Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen: bass; Alex Riel: drums.

sahib.jpg

Track 11 - 'Soulsides'– Art Farmer. From 'Gentle Eyes' (Mainstream LP)

Several people correctly guessed this as Art Farmer and I think it was Thom who nailed the identity of the LP – although I don’t think anyone pinned down the track. To my mind this is a very nicely done MOR session by Farmer on flugel – actually recorded in Vienna in 1971/72 where Art was resident, with the Austrian Broadcasting Corp. (ORF) Orchestra and with Fritz Pauer on piano. ‘Soulsides’ has a real nice groove and, although written by Erich Kleinchuster, was arranged for this session by altoist Hans Salomon I believe.

DSC00329_edited.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Track 12 - 'Outgoing Song'– Mike Westbrook Orchestra. From 'Citadel/Room 315'(RCA LP)

A track here from Mike Westbrook's last RCA LP – and one of his best of the period. 'Outgoing Song' which completes side 2 of the LP is primarily a tour-de-force for John Surman on baritone sax. I've also included though a chunk of the preceding track 'Sleepwalker Awaking In Sunlight' which includes Alan Wakeman on clarinet, John Surman and Mike Page on bass clarinets and Dave McRae on electric piano.

I believe that the 'Citadel/Room 315' that Mike refers to in the title is a music practice room at Leeds Poly – shown on the cover photos. Again, according to the sleeve notes 'Citadel/Room 315' was commissioned by Swedish Radio and first performed in Stockholm back in March 1974. This particular version was recorded for RCA in March 1975.

Recently reissued over here on CD by BGO Records, I believe..

DSC00327_edited.jpg

Track 13 - ‘Southern Suite Part 2’ – Tubby Hayes Orchestra With Jack Costanzo. From 'Equation In Rhythm' (UK Universal CD)

An absolute barnstormer to finish with – and easily the best track on this Tubby Hayes/Jack Constanzo collaboration from 1962 originally issued on vinyl by Fontana but recently reissued on CD by Universal UK. ‘Southern Suite’ is a two-parter written by Hayes for this session and the part 2 is titled 'Chase and Capture', which pretty well sums it up. Tubby is featured on tenor (and just him on tenor feature I believe), with the orchestra in incendiary form.

There has been quite a bit of debate re: the identity of the other tenors on this track other than Tubby. There’s also Tommy Whittle and Ronnie Scott in the line-up. Check out:

Another BFT from 1962

Tubby-Hayes-Equation-In-Rhyth-365008.jpg

Track 8 - 'Night Flower'– Michael Naura Quintet. From 'European Jazz Sounds' (Japanese Brunswick (!!) LP)

Another 1960s obscurity – in this case recorded in what was then West Germany by a group led by the Berlin-base pianist Michael Naura with Peter Reinke on alto sax, Wolfgang Schluter on vibes, Wolfgang Luschert on bass and Joe Nay on drums. Recorded Feb 1963 and issued here as a Japanese facsimile LP reissue on the Brunswick imprint. Not sure if this has ever been reissued on CD. Interesting to here the clinical, precise sound on this one – one would say very 'Germanic' in its way – and a precursor to the ECM sound. And interesting to compare it to groups operating in the UK at the time such as the Rendell/Carr Quintet. The sound is already very 'European' and drawing away from the US model.

DSC00335_edited.jpg

A reunion of Woody Shaw and Joe Henderson on this CD, recorded under Canadian bassist Swainson's name in 1987 and with fellow Toronto-based musicians Jerry Fuller on drums and Gary Williamson on piano. Recorded in Toronto, it's a lesser known title in the Shaw and Henderson discographies but I think a fine one, well worth seeking out. Certainly one of the best sessions by Woody Shaw in his last few years – at the time of this recording he was still sounding near his best. Sadly though, the back of the CD has a memorial dedication to him.

d75870oc74x.jpg

Bugger, talked myself out of Joe Henderson, saying it didn't sound cocksure enough! That this is from 1987 probably explains it, though Woody still sounds remarkably similar to whatever I've heard of him (which is only mid to late 60s).

Track 13 - ‘Southern Suite Part 2’ – Tubby Hayes Orchestra With Jack Costanzo. From 'Equation In Rhythm' (UK Universal CD)

An absolute barnstormer to finish with – and easily the best track on this Tubby Hayes/Jack Constanzo collaboration from 1962 originally issued on vinyl by Fontana but recently reissued on CD by Universal UK. ‘Southern Suite’ is a two-parter written by Hayes for this session and the part 2 is titled 'Chase and Capture', which pretty well sums it up. Tubby is featured on tenor (and just him on tenor feature I believe), with the orchestra in incendiary form.

There has been quite a bit of debate re: the identity of the other tenors on this track other than Tubby. There’s also Tommy Whittle and Ronnie Scott in the line-up. Check out:

Another BFT from 1962

Tubby-Hayes-Equation-In-Rhyth-365008.jpg

I REALLY need to get more Tubby Hayes. I bought "Mexican Green" last year and was blown away, can't think why I've not gone back for more. This really did cook.

Track 10 - 'The Cross-Eyed Cat' – Sahib Shihab. From 'Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group' (Oktav CD)

The original LP of this one on the Oktav label is a real mega-rarity with just a few hundred copies pressed – the good news is that it has since been reissued in facsimile CD form at an affordable price. An excellent session by multi-instrumentalist Shihab with the Danish Radio Jazz Group. Recorded in 1965 by Shihab after he had moved residency to Copenhagen, it's a fine example both of Shihab’s skills as a multi-instrumentalist and of his arranging abilities with a mid-sized group. Also interesting as a precursor to his work with the CBBB.

Personnel: Sahib Shihab: baritone sax, flute, cowbell, vocal; Palle Bolvig, Palle Mikkelborg, Allan Botschinsky: trumpet and flugelhorn; Torolf Molgard: tuba, eufonium; Svend Age Nielsen: trombone, bass trombone; Poul Kjaeldgard: tuba, trombone, bass trombone; Poul Hindberg: alto sax, clarinet; Bent Jaedig: tenor sax, flute, clarinet; Niels Husum: tenor sax, soprano sax, bass clarinet; Bent Nielsen: baritone sax, flute, clarinet; Ib Renard: baritone sax; Louis Hjulmand: vibes; Fritz Von Bulow: guitar; Bent Axen: piano; Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen: bass; Alex Riel: drums.

sahib.jpg

I've also got to get some Shihab! That tenor solo really blindsided me - I definitely heard Oliver Nelson in there - reminded me of (I think) "Cascades" from "Blues And The Abstract Truth".

DSC00356-1-1.jpg

Huh... guess it really was a cleaner Pharoah sound. I'm somewhat familiar with FK, but he sort of rubs me. He makes the same error Wynton made in the early days -- playing too much like his influences. The other thing that bugs me is the hyper-compressed sound of his drums on most recordings. That said, I need to check this disc out because that was really nice.

d75870oc74x.jpg

I'm shocked this was actually those guys. I had them pegged as young guys trying to play like them. I don't mean to kick your record collection, but to my ear, these guys had each lost a step by the time of this recording.

Track 11 - 'Soulsides'– Art Farmer. From 'Gentle Eyes' (Mainstream LP)

Several people correctly guessed this as Art Farmer and I think it was Thom who nailed the identity of the LP – although I don’t think anyone pinned down the track. To my mind this is a very nicely done MOR session by Farmer on flugel – actually recorded in Vienna in 1971/72 where Art was resident, with the Austrian Broadcasting Corp. (ORF) Orchestra and with Fritz Pauer on piano. ‘Soulsides’ has a real nice groove and, although written by Erich Kleinchuster, was arranged for this session by altoist Hans Salomon I believe.

DSC00329_edited.jpg

I can't take credit for that. I think MG id'd the album. I did in my mind, but couldn't bring the title to mind. I remember really liking about half this record, but it led me to the older Farmer stuff (like the Argo recordings) and that was pretty much the end of its tenure in my record collection (along with the pitiful Joe Henderson co-lab on CTI).