Jabbo Smith

Brownian Motion

513BUA+5UNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm a fan of Jabbo's, but I until last week had no idea that these sessions existed. They were produced by guitarist Marty Grosz, who plays strong rhythm guitar throughout. The complete sessions (2) are presented here with all takes and false starts, and although Jabbo had been out of music for years by 1961 he plays very well and very movingly on a nice selection of standards. Also heard are clarinetist Frank Chace (mis-named "Fred" in the liner notes), bass saxophonist John Dengler, and guitarist Mike McKendrick. If you like Jabbo this is an album worth having.

I saw Jabbo play frequently in the 1970s in NYC - played nice horn even then but more significantly had the most expressive singing voice I have ever heard - any vocals on these?

Jabbo sings on about half a dozen of the cuts, mostly wordless scatting. He's a fine scat singer. He also plays some mellophone on one cut, and what I believe is a euphonium on another. Frank Chace, btw, is a slavish devotee of Pee Wee Russell, which, interestingly, makes him Jabbo's near-perfect foil

A friend of mine made a copy of his Jazz Art LPs for me some years ago, so I am not sure, but maybe I'll pass on this one. Obviously, he's not at his level from 30 years earlier, but it's great to have more Jabbo on disc!

What's interesting to me is how much more creative and inspired Jabbo was in 1961 than many of the New York City-based swing trumpet players of that era. It's our loss that he waited until the 1970s to make his comeback

Guest Bill Barton

The discussion so far here definitely makes me want to seek out this disc. I'm a huge fan of Jabbo and recall hearing what may be the material on this re-issue back in the mid-1970s when I was doing college radio. Thanks for your insights, Brownian Motion.

• 8 months later...