Thomas Chapin- Alive

Guest JazzLoft

Evidently, at some point the rights to the music reverted to chapin's widow since the label issuing the set is not knitting factory but chapin's. check out www.thomaschapin.com. I wonder if the set comes with the same booklet as was provided by knitting factory

This is the Knitting Factory release. Chapin's widown had a box of them which she is selling through JAZZLOFT.COM

This is a mighty fine box, just in case anyone has doubts!

It has been discussed in the funny rat thread and possibly elsewhere, too, and quite favourably so.

Pretty intense playing by all involved (mostly Chapin's trio with the great bass of Mario Pavone, sometimes extended with some additional horns).

Some earlier threads:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2499

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10489

Mario Pavone thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24595

I just looked at the rat, nothing much essential said about the box, except ravings by D.D., chaney, yours truly...

• 3 years later...

Chapin's death was a HUGE loss to the world of music. He was a master. I'll second (or third) the previous recommendations for this fine music. I would have purchased this set in a heartbeat, but I've had all of the individual discs (save the one unreleased included in the box) since they were released in the 90s.

I can also recommend "Ride", released by Michael Musillami's (check out his recordings as well!) great label Playscape Recordings about 6 or 7 years ago.

Edited by JETman

My avatar has been Thomas Chapin for pretty much all of my time on this board. It's a photograph I took of him when his trio appeared at the Glasgow International Jazz Festival in 1994 (I think). Itwas was one of the finest concerts I've ever attended ever if the audience wasn't large.

The concert was broadcast on BBC with Brian Morton hosting. I recorded the audio FM broadcast to VHS tape and have since transferred to minidisc. It's just as well I did as my VHS player no longer works. Several years ago I was astonished when I bought Alive to find that Raise Four from the Menagerie Dreams CD was in fact recorded at the Glasgow gig. If you listen carefully you can just about hear the starling that was trapped in the auditorium and trying to escape. It was as if the bird was Chapin's soul trying to escape mirroring the music , which of course so sadly happened only a few years later. I emailed some of the photos to Chapin's widow but got no reply - probably as they didn't add much but they remain special to me.

Edited by Clunky

In 1993, I saw the Thomas Chapin trio (Michael Sarin and Mario Pavone) at the Pitt Gallery in Vancouver. That was just an incredible performance, one of the most exciting I've ever heard.

Then in late 1994, I saw him with a different group, Two Bass Hit, at the Alterknit Theater in the Knitting Factory. This group had Reggie Nicholson, Pavone and another bassist.

And I got to see the trio one final time in the main space at the Knitting Factory, before a packed, standing crowd, April 5, 1997. Chapin was ill at this point, but still managed to reach some astounding peaks during the concert.