No Jimmy Smith website???

Soul Stream

I disagree- i have my jimmy cds and lps and 8 tracks and even a reel to reel to listen to- the web is for naked pictures of cybill sheppard.

When some author was asked if director X had ruined his book, he turned around, pointed at the book up on the shelf and replied: "No, it's still there." (Or something like that. No matter what, I thought the answer was cool).

That said, I think it is absoluetely astonishing that some good musicians are not treated better on the Internet. Just try looking for some worthwhile and somewhat classy presentation of one of the geniuses of 20th century music: Errol Garner. I know you can guess what the outcome will be. I mean if the record companies don't give a hoot, why should others?

My complaint is that there are not enough people out there willing to put up the effort to fight back all the shite that's floating around out there. And if (only if) useful stuff is available, there are too few people (in the jazz community) willing to go beyond the most basic layout to present some of the great content they have to offer. Most of the sites which are good on the content side are still stuck in the stoneage of web design and are about as boring as Bush on crack.

I start gagging when I click through jazz websites (despite the often fantastic content) which were seemingly designed two days after Berners Lee (almost single-handedly) invented the whole Web thing.

We spent hours drooling over Blue Note record covers and at the same time we don't mind sifting through grey pages with 16 typefonts, hysterically bad animated gifs, 200 different fluorescent colors and headlines in size 36.

-= barf =-

[P.S.: I didn't get enough sleep last night]. :angry:

Edited by deus62

Actually, there is an "official" Jimmy Smith website that is being constructed by the Smith family. Looked for it through a google search but couldn't find the site. It's very crappy right now, hopefully it will be built up in the coming months. I would give a link but I'm away from my computer for ten more days (on vacation :excited: ). If I remember, I'll post it when I get back home.