Need Digital Recording Advice

roger4554

I'm interested in finding out how you all make digital recordings nowadays. I want to record a few tunes of my new band so I can download them to my PC and burn some demo CDs for inclusion in my publicity kits. I want something fairly simple and don't want to get into a whole lot of expensive professional studio gear, separate mics on each player, or anything like that. I checked out the music department at Best Buy (gawd - sounded like CG) and they recommended a hand-held Zoom HR-4 with dual built-in mics for around $300. It records to a 512 mb memory chip, comes with software and connects to the PC with a USB cable. In the audio showroom I found a recorder the same size as the components in my entertainment center and sells for a little over $300. It records to audio CD-Rs or CD-RWs and has the standard red and white jacks on the back, L-R for input and L-R for output. I assume i would need some sort of mixer for input. I'm looking for any feedback, suggestions or recommendations you care to offer.

Alternatively, if I were to get a digital video-cam, is there any way to rip the audio portion of a DVD and save it in mp3 or wav format? Thanks.

I will suggest an alternative for more money, and I've mentioned it before - the Masterlink can be used as a GREAT 2 track recorder with 24/96 - it will put you out maybe $800 for new, but I have seen them used for $500 - and once you go to 24/96 it's hard to go back -

and if you can scratch up a used one for only $200 more than you will spend on the Zoom, it'll be worth it- and it has many more excellent archival uses -

I will suggest an alternative for more money, and I've mentioned it before - the Masterlink can be used as a GREAT 2 track recorder with 24/96 - it will put you out maybe $800 for new, but I have seen them used for $500 - and once you go to 24/96 it's hard to go back -

and if you can scratch up a used one for only $200 more than you will spend on the Zoom, it'll be worth it- and it has many more excellent archival uses -

you think I can record my lps with the Masterlink and retain all the greatness of the vintage Blue Notes? I trled using a computer with an outboard dac and something was lost in translation. (although it was only 16 bit cd burn.) I figure the higher resolution will do it but before I spend the money I need to know!