Clifton Anderson - Decade

GA Russell

Clifton Anderson is Sonny Rollins' trombonist (and nephew). He has a new album out on Sonny's Doxy label called Decade.

It's a very solid mainstream effort, but you have to like trombone music, because Anderson gets 95% of the spotlight.

He has quite a line-up of friends joining him, including Larry Willis, Bob Cranshaw, Al Foster, Kenny Garrett, Stephen Scott, Christian McBride and Kimati Dinizulu. But they all stay in the background.

Standards include I'm Old Fashioned, I'm Glad There is You, We'll Be Together Again, and the David Gates hit If. Half the album is originals.

Anderson plays the trombone kind of like Sonny plays the sax. He is not as smooth and mellow as JJ Johnson or Curtis Fuller or Kai Winding or anyone else I can think of. I would be interested in Free For All's take on his playing here, as obviously FFA knows more about the trombone than anyone else here.

I enjoy this album more and more each time I play it. But as I say, if you don't like trombone then this isn't for you because that's all there is here.

Thanks for the kind words GA, but I do feel humbled by the amassed knowledge around here. I'll be interested, as always, to hear what others have to say.

My two cents:

Regarding CA, first I'd say he's had a great run getting to play on the same stage as Uncle Sonny. I've seen them several times and always kind of wondered why he didn't solo more. Sure, people come to hear Sonny, but still.........

I have only listened to the online samples so far, but I have to say I'm a little lukewarm about his playing. Nice sound, good intonation but the content didn't do a lot for me. One of the main challenges of playing a "fretless" instrument like the trombone is that one has to articulate every single note- no keys/valves to help. Some players sound a little labored in this effort to my ears (too much "tonguing" sound), and the result is limited success in communicating ideas. Of course there are other elements to consider than technique, but that's the "delivery system" for content (as is sound) so I tend to obsess on it a bit, especially since IMHO CA is coming out of a hardbop thing. Sustaining interest over the course of a solo is not an easy thing.

Anderson plays the trombone kind of like Sonny plays the sax.

Have to respectfully disagree there, GA. That's a tough act to follow. Please elaborate. I would be more likely to make that comment about someone like Slide Hampton.

My definition of content: vocabulary, melodic construction, harmonic & rhythmic sophistication, motivic development- all things I love about Rollins. Hard to evaluate someone who's played with him all these years without similar criteria. I tend to get a little persnickety about trombonists, and I expect that comes in part from being a self-critical musician, although I have come to a level of acceptance (with age) and the whole "sour grapes" thing is not really an issue anymore.

As a fellow 'bonist I wish him all the success in the world, which he has already enjoyed for some time. I sure would have liked to play with Sonny Rollins!

I'm sure there are those here who may love this side, and I'm not out to diminish that at all. My opinion is just that. :)

Have to respectfully disagree there, GA. That's a tough act to follow. Please elaborate.

FFA, what I have in mind is that the texture is rough, not smooth and effortless. To compare to another instrument, not at all like Paul Desmond.

Have to respectfully disagree there, GA. That's a tough act to follow. Please elaborate.

FFA, what I have in mind is that the texture is rough, not smooth and effortless. To compare to another instrument, not at all like Paul Desmond.

I see, you're talking about sound conception more than vocabulary. Understood.

• 7 months later...

I must have missed this first time around. Interesting thread, especially Free For All's two cents.

For my own part, I was more impressed by Anderson when I heard him live with Sonny in Boston a couple years ago than I was when I heard him with Sonny in Boston a decade ago. But I have a hard time imagining him justifying "95% of the spotlight."

And in case you're wondering, trombone is among my favorite instruments in jazz.