Mats Gustafsson

Steve Reynolds

posted somewhere else - I feel strongly enough abou this recording to hope to have it find maybe one more set of ears...

recorded 10/3/2006

Barry Guy - bass

Mats Gustafsson - tenor sax, baritone sax, flutephone

Raymond Strid - percussion

thanks, Jason

the earlier recording with the trio was recorded ten years earlier - I guess I thought there may never be another one. It seems Mats has recorded more with The Thing than anything else.

The earlier recording - as well as the even earlier Mouth Eating Trees and Related Activities (with Lovens in place of Strid) were of a piece where upon discovering them, I had no IDEA what I was in for when it came to what Mats was all about. On the new one, we hear a more accomplished Mats where due to his overwhelming prescence, it can be a wonder and a detriment. The energy level of his playing can be so pervasive that I can almost not hear the interplay of the trio - but this is a small issue - it is only an issue if one is so jaded that one might think that there is no room in the ouvre of jazz/improvised music for improvisation like this.

And what is improvisation like this - I think this is proof that the beast lives

energy lives - the first 27 minute track features the tenor - certainly the dynamics have changed from the earlier recordings as Mats is more up front and certainly more able from a technical aspect - some might actually come to hear him as being able to play this shit in his sleep - or just another day at the office - but it is *his* office - nobody else can touch this - the only guy from the past who got to these types of energy levels was Brotz - and here we hear a 42 guy at the peak of his physical powers sometimes even understandign that he doesn't have to tear every spec of paint off the walls - but I am able to soak it up when he does or he doesn't

2nd track is a highlight - 9+ minutes with the still mysterious flutephone - fades slowly - then the third track with extreme bari - which switches to the tenor half way through - maybe the most rote track - the 20 minutes is solid - let me tell you more a few more listens in

incidently Guy is so great that he is *still* the reason this music works - we know Lovens made this work although it was 1992 - and Mats was a baby - and mayge there might be another drummer who can play with such detailed energetic precision - but there is only one Barry Guy - this is totally improvised music - but it is a certain band and it has a certain sound and purpose - another bass player and it is more like AALY or The Thing - which are *nothing* at all like this - they are song based and IMO would never work as improvising units,,,I digress,,,

but track 4 - the closing 9+ minutes - here Mats contains himself for 6-7 minutes - playing slight variations on a riff on the big horn - until he *cannot* contain himslef - and it doesn't seem trite when he does pierce the sky - it *is* majestic and Strid almost swings - maybe this is rock n' roll - and the band goes to heaven - and the crowd exists - didn't know it till the end - oh glory be,,,,,

and yes - this would be the trio to see live if there would ever be the chance for me - this is a dream to one day be realized, I hope

and yeah,,,,,

You Forget To Answer

more,,,,

more will be revealed,,,,,

had to play the second track twice in a row the third time through the record - is this trio this good?

I think yes - I think they have all gotten better from 10-15 years ago - and to counter those who may jaded as in what is the point, this music is the same as it ever was - and of course, jazz is dead - and this is same thing as the first generation of euro improvisors - phooey on you - your minds are letting you believe the lie - and you be missing out on these ginats who walk this earth,,,

yeah baby,,,

and the third track is anything but rote - i don't know what the hell I was hearing 2 times through - after the third listen, I hear more slience, I hear more sophistication from Guy and Strid during the softer moments - and I hear more restraint and exactitude from the great saxophonist throughout.

with more restraint - and this is realtive knowing who we are dealing with - comes more power.

and one must hear this recording for the final minute - but the final minute of the whole thing must *only* be heard after hearing everything that precedes it.

Mouth Eating Trees,,,,,,

this trio needs to tour the northeast USA sometime soon - sometime ever - sometimes a dream is a dream